8.3L Cummins Transplant

Looks like the belt is the problem. I found an old pic of when I got it...dang it has been so long ago.

Since I added the fan clutch assy, the belt needs to be extended so I might just have this figured out. I didn't envision the pulley on the tensioner being on the bottom of it.

attachment.php

Now, what I need is a diagram of the water plumbing. What are in and out ports and where does the temp probe go? I'm looking it all over and I don't see a temp sensor anywhere on it. I might be missing one.

Attachments

• IMG_5088.jpg
    IMG_5088.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 0
Not the same as yours but looked at my 93 F-800 with 8.3
The heater inlet hose is on the right rear corner of the block
IMG-0898.jpg

The heater hose return goes to a tee in the bottom radiator hose.
There's 2 senders in the right side of the block under the turbo, I'm guessing one is for water and the other for oil but it was getting to dark to mess with it anymore.
My alternator is mounted low so belt routing is different

Well....we are moving forward. I might just meet Racin Duallie at the tree. LOL

Water temp sensor mounted and wired.
Front air brake relay valve mounted and plumbed to both sides.
Wire harness kinda sorted out into keep and cut bundles.
Fuel supply and return lines complete.
Speedometer cable installed.
Belt figured out..need to order.

The water plumbing will probably be the most tasking just figuring out what goes in where and what comes out where. Thanks for all the pics.

Today's task...figure out what fitting is used on the pressure port out of the power steering pump. I'm going to assume it is a ORB straight thread o-ring type....but I need confirmation. I'll try to locate some info today unless anyone has anything. I think this PS pump came on the compressor Signature600 sent me that got cored for a rebuilt compressor...he forgot to send me instructions. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8361[1].jpg
    IMG_8361[1].jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 0
Not sure about ZF pumps but my Vickers has ORB
-8 is 3/4-16 thread, I'm thinking my vickers is -10 with 7/8-14 thread
130 bar! didn't realize those power steering pumps put out that much pressure.

Well, I'm not sure what the hell 130 BAR is but in English that's equates to a lot of pressure!!! LOL

1 bar is ~145psi 130bar is just under 19,000psi
13bar is more likely

Last edited:
And what a joke. Every damn thing I have is like this albino endangered elephant that no one know anything about. Jesus. The literature says this ZF pump has a 3/4-16 UNF-2A port. There ain't no way in hell it's that big. A 1/2 NPT almost screws into it. It will start, but won't thread.

#FakeNews

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
And what a joke. Every damn thing I have is like this albino endangered elephant that no one know anything about. Jesus. The literature says this ZF pump has a 3/4-16 UNF-2A port. There ain't no way in hell it's that big. A 1/2 NPT almost screws into it. It will start, but won't thread.

#FakeNews

attachment.php
3/4-16 will almost allow 1/2 NPT to thread into it. I'd say you have the right port size as 3/4-16.

3/4-16 will almost allow 1/2 NPT to thread into it. I'd say you have the right port size as 3/4-16.

You'll have to excuse me. What I have that almost threads in is 3/8 NPT....not 1/2 NPT. Sorry.

Max thread diameter on this piece that almost fits is .680" Dia.

Looking more and more like an M16x1.5 flat faced fitting after extensive research. :bang

So whether y'all follow along or not I don't care...but it sure feels good to come and post some progress after 3 years and 3 days of harassments. :D

Clutch....done. That's a strong b1tch Valair sent me. Holy smokes. It need hydraulics. Gonna have to at least do left leg day for a while. Need more leverage on the linkages. Cross that bridge later...it moves for now.

Power steering pump outlet is in fact a Metric Flat Face, crush washer type, with M16x1.5 thread. Need to find that in a 90 deg elbow to 45 deg SAE flare. (another needle in a hay stack).

Got the old air dryer and some more junk pulled off the frame. Too much extra crap on this truck. It was used for highway so it had auger controls and extra hydraulic lines and just chit everywhere. I bet it drops 1000# on this diet.

All the air components are on order most arriving Monday. That's good. After 5 nights in a row from 4pm to 9pm I need a break. Forgot to order the belt but I'll do that in a few minutes. Ended up being a K080680. 68" long. I'm not a believer in this tensioner but I'll try it and see how it goes. It sure isn't very "free" when I bar it over. Makes me concerned.

Test fit the core support. This fan is big. Need to trim the bottom a tad for clearance on the support.

Moved the water temp sensor from the head to the block where it probably needs to be.

Last edited:
How does that PS pump mount? Is it not a standard SAE flange?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How does that PS pump mount? Is it not a standard SAE flange?

There is a hose coming off the gear box that is already on the truck. It is hanging there. It has a 45 deg SAE flare with the nut on it.

The PS pump has a hole in it. It is M16x1.5 flat face, parallel thread.

If I could find an adapter from that to that in 90 deg I could simply hook it up. Apparently there is none. I'm going to see if I can unscrew the hose from the gear box tonight. I may just have to make a new hose with the correct ends on each end.

I've spent probably 5- hours looking for this stupid ass adapter. Called several places including Parker Hannifin.

Auston hose shows 90* metric to jic fittings.
https://www.austinhose.com/CatSearch/12/steel-threaded-adapters
Go to the link, click on metric then apply, click on 90 then apply, click on 16x1.5 then apply.
Their ADM16x1.5MWO-8MJ90 is a 16x1.5 metric to 8JIC 90.

Not sure why but if you click and apply the size before the 90 it brings up a mess of junk.

Took me about 10 minutes but I use to mess with hydraulic plumbing.

Last edited:
Our P/S Pumps mount to the compressor with the standard flange.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Our pressure and return hoses have swivel 8MB (3/4-16 thread) fittings on them. From what I understand, BS (Before Scott), we made our own hoses. We used an 8MB-8MJ adapter and 8FJX on the hose in either straight, 45*, or 90* depending on fitment. The supply hose uses a 12MB(1 1/16"-14 thread)-12MJ 90* and 12FXJ on the hose.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Our pumps are 135bar, also.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fittings.jpg
    Fittings.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Flange.jpg
    Flange.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
  • Hoses.jpg