8.3L Cummins Transplant

Siliconed shut and they went to a electric pump. Jesus.

80bc86e57218aabcf598103820c97b8e.jpg

From dumb phone.

Man that lift pump is classy. Idk if the 8.3 is the same as a 5.9, but a big block chevy block off is a perfect fit. That is, if you go electric

Man that lift pump is classy. Idk if the 8.3 is the same as a 5.9, but a big block chevy block off is a perfect fit. That is, if you go electric

Screw electric. I'm been electric all my life. Ready for "wireless" powa. LOL

Poorly executed kdp joke

Thanks for the cliff notes. I was lost as hell. LOL Not even sure if I can spell KDP much less get your joke. LOL

I guess so. I pulled the gear off the compressor. It moves in and out a lot.

Meanwhile.....no plunger or whatever explains why the lift pump doesn't work.
471b5f3d302cfeee76f8d910fd6a44c4.jpg

From dumb phone.

You didn't find it (plunger) when you pulled the pan?

You didn't find it (plunger) when you pulled the pan?

No. Only thing in the pan was the thrust bearing pieces. The guy that bought it told me something like "you might just go with an electric pump because I don't think the mechanical one works." :hehe: You think? I looked all over inside to make sure it wasn't lodged in there....it is in fact MIA.

Running by my buddy Trent's (Outlaw Diesel) here in town at lunch today. I think he has a nut for the IP pump gear. He also said he has a bracket for the fuel shut-off solenoid. The solenoid was originally mounted right up next to the block and it went to a level on the back side of the P3000 it had. He said he has a bracket that mounts it on the outside from the FCA housing or something. Not sure yet, but the original mounting location for the solenoid has nothing to connect to that I can see on the back side of this P7100.

Last edited:
No. Only thing in the pan was the thrust bearing pieces. The guy that bought it told me something like "you might just go with an electric pump because I don't think the mechanical one works." :hehe: You think? I looked all over inside to make sure it wasn't lodged in there....it is in fact MIA.

Running by my buddy Trent's (Outlaw Diesel) here in town at lunch today. I think he has a nut for the IP pump gear. He also said he has a bracket for the fuel shut-off solenoid. The solenoid was originally mounted right up next to the block and it went to a level on the back side of the P3000 it had. He said he has a bracket that mounts it on the outside from the FCA housing or something. Not sure yet, but the original mounting location for the solenoid has nothing to connect to that I can see on the back side of this P7100.

The bracket will attach to the two outside (drivers side) AFC housing bolts, and one down to the side of the pump

The bracket will attach to the two outside (drivers side) AFC housing bolts, and one down to the side of the pump

Cool. That beats having it tucked up under everything where nothing is accessible.

Who has a wiring diagram that tells me which of the three wires does what?

One is hot when the key is on.
One is hot when cranking.
Other is ground

Get some wire colors or a number off the solenoid, and I'll see if I can come up with them.
Chris

On our 8.3l in our Tigercats the Fuel Control Solenoid wires are.

White - Hot When Starting
Red - Hot When Starting & Engine Running
Black - Ground

Dunno if that helps any

On our 8.3l in our Tigercats the Fuel Control Solenoid wires are.

White - Hot When Starting
Red - Hot When Starting & Engine Running
Black - Ground

Dunno if that helps any

Looks right for our stuff too.

Chris

So, Chris, you gonna be mad if I use the compressor for a core? The one I have won't work as it has a 3.xxx pilot hole and gear. The one I need has a 4.5xx pilot hole and gear. I finally got a contact in engineering at Halex. He told me if I used the smaller flange in the larger hole it is just going to eat itself and break off.

The one I apparently need according to Halex contact is a 3558186X (standard) or 89X (high output).

http://www.finditparts.com/products/1681571/haldex-3558186x

This is the compressor I have on my 5.9. It came off a 5.9 from a mid 90s Freightliner FL60.

3558211-RX

QE 296 E

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447430783.660283.jpg

So, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this 3558186X compressor. My only concern is that the gear housing doesn't have any means for the oil drain on the compressor to drain back into the gear housing. There is no machined opening outside the pilot port. There is a boss that looks like it could be drilled out, but it lands outside the timing cover. What the hell?

Is there just no hope for me or what? This gear housing had a blank out plate on it. I guess they meant it. LOL

How to I over come this obstacle?

After talking to Haldex again, the engineer there tells me the oil return passage is on the inside of the pilot flange shoulder, not the outside like the generic pump picture on the website shows. I'm waiting on finditparts.com to respond to my question as I'm going to have them verify it too before I order.

This is the pump pic online, but it looks like the old 355xx06 pump I have since you can see the return passage outside the pilot shoulder. This gear housing doesn't have any passage machined in it for that.

596393.gif

Hopefully I'll get it straightened out soon and have air, a new lift pump, an IP, and be ready to work on firing this SOB up on the stand.

What is the thingy-ma-jigger attached to the side of the head in your pic? I don't have any of this stuff so what does that do and do I need that?

Where does the air go when these pumps get the tank up to operating pressure if they continuously run? Does that have something to do with it?

Edit: Unloader valve.....that's what I couldn't think of..is that the unloader valve?

Last edited:
Back