83 Chevy Van 20 6.2Diesel with 700R4 Tranny

RudolphD1

Hello, I have been lookin at this 83 Van. It has a naturally aspirated diesel with a 700R4 tranny behind it. Guy says he only used it pull boat twice to lake and back each year. Boat is gone and so its for sale. Seems to a good running van except I'm concerned about parts availability and whether the 700R4 is strong enough for the diesel. I'm told the diesel is a Detroit with a mechanical vice electronic fuel injection system. Anyone had experience with this and does anyone know what the fuel mileage "might" be? Thanks Rudolph

Hey Rudolph,
I have had quite a few 6.2's, and still do. The 700r is very weak in the early years, (83-87) so they don't take much punishment. Pulling the vehicle alone usually overtax's them within 80,000 miles. Easy to rebuild though, or if you don't need the overdrive, put in a th350 with a lockup converter. I have built a few 700r's that hold big power, but they are expensive to do so.
As far as the 6.2, they were designed by Detroit Diesel, although alot of idiots still think they are a converted gas engine. Think of the 8.2 Detroit Fuel Pincher only in a smaller version. They are a full mechanical engine, most are wore out by the time you get them, so they have problems, therefore, they get kindof a bad reputation. However, they are great engines, bulletproof if you take care of them, UNBELIEVABLY cheap to rebuild (for a diesel). Fuel cutoff is around 4200 rpms, so they kind of act like a gas engine when you drive them. Pulls about like a wore out 454 would, or a freshly rebuilt 350. Better mileage though. IN that van if you drive it sensibly, and it has decent gears, you should see 20+ on the freeway. A buddy has a suburban 2wd with 3.42 gears and gets 27mpg on the freeway. Remember, a diesel, ANY diesel, even the new ones, are very RPM sensitive. You start crankin the R's, and mileage suffers BIG TIME.
mike

I'm looking at a 85 6.2 & TH-700 with 95k on it. Does that sound like too low?? It does to me, but you never know if something was used very little.

I'm looking to put it in a '56 Chevy truck and want decent mileage and will tow very light on rare occasions.

I would most likely just install it and get it on the road, fully expecting to rebuild it in the future. Maybe do some marine modifications. And of course a turbo!!!

I was about to start a new thread when I saw this one. I've been looking at these threads a lot in the past few days, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on modifications for these.

I do plenty of modifications on them... but not a ton of people do.

If you want to keep the TH700-R4, I would get it built, and built good. They can hold, but the downside is that they cost a fair bit to build strong.

Back