83 turbine versus 87 on s475

FIRST GEN. JAKE

Curious to know the pros and cons of a 83 turbine wheel and a 87 turbine wheel. Specifically on a s745. I just recently went from a s467.7/83 .9ar fmw to try out a buddies cast wheel 75/83 .9ar. Debating on buying this 75 or hold out and get a 87 turbine.
A little info on the truck it's made 895 with the 67.7. I'm in the voting for dpc so looking to pick up some extra power if I make it in. Wanting to try and make a 1000 with it. Would like to be able to spray just a small shot. Curious to know how the 83 or 87 turbine with .9ar will handle nitrous with no gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk much about the difference of the two. But u better be thinking about the altitude difference between ky and Colorado turbo isn't gonna lite as easy there

no personal experience however a good friend of mine ran an s475/83/.90 and switched to the 87mm turbine and a 1.0 housing and said his truck actually spooled quicker and pulled much harder. This was in a low 10 second dmax. I forgot how much faster he got in the 1/4 but i do remember it was faster after the switch.

no personal experience however a good friend of mine ran an s475/83/.90 and switched to the 87mm turbine and a 1.0 housing and said his truck actually spooled quicker and pulled much harder. This was in a low 10 second dmax. I forgot how much faster he got in the 1/4 but i do remember it was faster after the switch.

Alot of guys over fuel small turbine/housings and actually lug the turbo with too much raw fuel (cooling the exhaust) and being it creates a tight bottleneck it delays the response.

Personally I'd never run an 83 without the 1.0. Also if your spraying on a cast wheel keep in mind things going boom easier.

I would go with the older 80/87mm turbine wheel, based on what we have seen on the dyno and not the butt version.

Is the older 87/80 wheel a j turbine Weston? I'm thinking about going to a 80mm compressor on my nova to replace the 5 blade 75 I got from you a while back..

Alot of guys over fuel small turbine/housings and actually lug the turbo with too much raw fuel (cooling the exhaust) and being it creates a tight bottleneck it delays the response.

That certainly makes sense. I'm not throwing a huge amount of fuel at compared to some people. I have a set of 180 hp nozzles from Brian at ikt. I figure they are about equal to 100% over. He told me they'd support a 1000 hp.

Idk much about the difference of the two. But u better be thinking about the altitude difference between ky and Colorado turbo isn't gonna lite as easy there

Yes sir I'm keeping that in mind. That's the reason I'm not going plum crazy like a lot do and completely changing my setup. Hoping something that I'm familiar with will work pretty well out there. I haven't out ruled just keeping the 67.7 on it.

I would go with the older 80/87mm turbine wheel, based on what we have seen on the dyno and not the butt version.

Good info to know. I'm trying to find the best balance of drivability and spool up versus horsepower and something that won't grenade. If only it was a perfect world lol

Is the older 87/80 wheel a j turbine Weston? I'm thinking about going to a 80mm compressor on my nova to replace the 5 blade 75 I got from you a while back..

The j trim is 87/81 if i'm not mistaken.

A buddy of mine has a 75/87 .9 bullseye charger with the batmo wheel for sale. Thinking I'm going to buy it and try it out.

A buddy of mine has a 75/87 .9 bullseye charger with the batmo wheel for sale. Thinking I'm going to buy it and try it out.

I loved my old batmo 466/83/1.0. It was an amazing turbo that alot of stupid people got their hands on and grenaded. That turbo lasted over 4yrs before needing a rebuilt center.

I loved my old batmo 466/83/1.0. It was an amazing turbo that alot of stupid people got their hands on and grenaded. That turbo lasted over 4yrs before needing a rebuilt center.

Not trying to start anything but I wouldn't consider stupidity, at least of the end user, to be any part of the issue on why bullseye chargers don't hold up as they should, especially when compared to their low cost box stock counterparts.

As for the original topic I am a huge fan of the 87mm turbine wheel in both forms, it is definitely worth a shot for you OP.

Last edited:
Not trying to start anything but I wouldn't consider stupidity, at least of the end user, to be any part of the issue on why bullseye chargers don't hold up as they should, especially to their low cost box stock counterparts.

As for the original topic I am a huge fan of the 87mm turbine wheel in both forms, it is definitely worth a shot for you OP.

Yeah that was a poor off the cusp choice of words for sure. I just remembered alot of oversped units making compressor contact and shrapnel flew!

Not trying to start anything but I wouldn't consider stupidity, at least of the end user, to be any part of the issue on why bullseye chargers don't hold up as they should, especially when compared to their low cost box stock counterparts.

I'm not all to familiar with batmos at all. I know they got mixed reactions from people. But for the price of this one it's worth a shot to try. If I don't like it il put one of the other chargers back on it. Being it's a 87 turbine I figure if give it a shot

FPE 475/87/.90 on my 06. 200% overs. Long as bigger injectors are tuned properly they do well. I haven't been in a truck with 83 turbine but my 87 does well I think.

I run the 68/83/.9 with 230% overs and it is making 10-15 psi by 1600 rpm on my 06. Not sure if that turbine has enough in it for 1k with the 75 but I don't really know. I would say the 87 wheel would be a better choice for you.

Last edited:
FPE 475/87/.90 on my 06. 200% overs. Long as bigger injectors are tuned properly they do well. I haven't been in a truck with 83 turbine but my 87 does well I think.

Ever had it on a dyno?

Back