83mm Turbine to small for Compounds?

TRUBBS

Can You Keep Up?
Just like the title asks, would running a 80+mm turbo as the LP turbo in compounds have to much back pressure/be over sped if it only has an 83mm turbine wheel? what about it being stuffed into a t4 housing?
Would you be able to gate enough around it to make it survive or would it still be to small and choke the flow to much?

Last edited:
They make t6 housings for the 83mm turbine wheel. Most of the time you can't hardly give away the 1.1 t6 housings.

What about a t4 housing? I like the idea of it being able to spool quick for towing, and still move lots of air. just not sure if it would work well or choke itself

For what kind of setup? My atmo is a 75/83/1.10 and it's done 600hp with no crazy drive pressure issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For what kind of setup? My atmo is a 75/83/1.10 and it's done 600hp with no crazy drive pressure issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On a 6.4, with a 64 or 66 as the HP turbo,
Thinking it would still spool good enough to daily/tow but also move enough air to make good power.
As long as the LP turbo isn't chocking itself out with the smaller turbine and small .96 T4 housing

Subd. Kind of thinking of doing something similar on my 12v. I have a billet s480/87/.9 t4 laying around and was thinking of putting it under a hx35. Probably going to a 1.1 t4 or if I can find a 1.1 in a t6.

I have a billet s480/87/.9 t4 laying around and was thinking of putting it under a hx35. Probably going to a 1.1 t4 or if I can find a 1.1 in a t6.

If it is the Deere style 80/87mm turbine there is a factory T6 1.25AR option.

Just like the title asks, would running a 80+mm turbo as the LP turbo in compounds have to much back pressure/be over sped if it only has an 83mm turbine wheel? what about it being stuffed into a t4 housing? Would you be able to gate enough around it to make it survive or would it still be to small and choke the flow to much?

Excessive drive pressure would be a result of the smaller turbine not having enough shaft power to turn the compressor, using a waste gate will not fix this problem. The 74/83mm Borg Warner design often cannot support a 53 trim exducer ratio let alone a 45 trim exducer ratio, in short there are turbine designs that will allow a larger compressor for a given turbine size, but what you are discussing is not one of them.

Excessive drive pressure would be a result of the smaller turbine not having enough shaft power to turn the compressor, using a waste gate will not fix this problem. The 74/83mm Borg Warner design often cannot support a 53 trim exducer ratio let alone a 45 trim exducer ratio, in short there are turbine designs that will allow a larger compressor for a given turbine size, but what you are discussing is not one of them.

That's kind of what I had figured, but wanted to talk with the
Pros first.
Thanks for your input

Back