84 Rabbit

OrangeNV

BISH please
well ive been away from the diesel scene for almost a year. this will be my first post since then

though i have sold my 12v

i just picked this up today, 84 rabbit 1.6 n/a diesel

hoping to get to work a lil bit cheaper from now on

know what the funniest thing about this purchase was........mumau's shop is visible from this guys back yard :)

anybody have any really good sites with info on these things?
which are the best forums to search on?
parts?

ive searched a few places for info but i cant seam to track down reliable info all in one place. just interested to see what you guys can recommend

vwdiesel.net hands down must resourceful for old VW diesels

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

vwdiesel.net is the best ive seen

beat me to it

Last edited:
Where in the world did you find one of those in such good condition?

Pennsylvania lol

seriously though it has 220k on the clock and i found one 2" hole in the rocker

it was a MD car that was kept in a garage

guy i brought it from rebuilt just about everything under the hood

came with paperwork from every service ever done to the car, i looked through it today and i swear this thing has had about 15 new glow plugs put in it

didnt see anywhere that the clutch was replaced, would a stock clutch go 220k miles? i mean i know 45hp really puts a beating on stock internals and clutch LOL

I can see it happening, that clutch leads a very easy life LOL

Turbo, keep the boost down since that motor doesn't have the oil squirters on the pistons, turn up the IP a bit and have fun. That car at 100HP will be fun.

You will get good at replacing glow plugs if you keep the car very long, I replaced at least one or two every winter when I was driving an 80 rabbit. The wiring on mine was a nightmare, the headlights & wipers were fairly intermitent but a good kick to the fuse panel would typicaly get things working, the later ones used a better fuse panel with blade type fuses that were not as problematic. It was a good first car, I could go 400+ miles on 10 dollars of fuel & never got a speeding ticket in that car.

I can see it happening, that clutch leads a very easy life LOL

Turbo, keep the boost down since that motor doesn't have the oil squirters on the pistons, turn up the IP a bit and have fun. That car at 100HP will be fun.

its an n/a motor

100hp would be double the stock output

TDI Club, VW Vortex or myturbodiesel.com are other good forums with plenty of information to be found.

only problem i have is the drivers door will not let you push the lock down with the door open?

once you shut it, it will let you lock it with the key. were they designed this way so you dont lock the keys in the car, or should it work like all the other doors?

TDI Club, VW Vortex or myturbodiesel.com are other good forums with plenty of information to be found.

The Tex has too many punks and tdi snobs in my experience. Good build threads if you like making your vehicle look better

I havent found what I consider a good info forum for the older non-tdi stuff.

[ame="http://s217.photobucket.com/user/thek10kid/media/second.jpg.html"]second.jpg Photo by thek10kid | Photobucket[/ame]
no bumpers!

black wheels? or leave them alone?

found complete shift rebuild kits, with short throw rods too

its an n/a motor

100hp would be double the stock output

Why I said what I said LOL The non turbo motors don't have the piston cooling jets and run a higher compression, other than that they are pretty much the same.

only problem i have is the drivers door will not let you push the lock down with the door open?

once you shut it, it will let you lock it with the key. were they designed this way so you dont lock the keys in the car, or should it work like all the other doors?

Yes, it is made that way.

Some 1.6l engines came with turbos. So some blocks have plugs where the cooling nozzles should be.

The Tex has too many punks and tdi snobs in my experience. Good build threads if you like making your vehicle look better

I bounce around between TDI Club and Vortex. Being that I'm new to VW altogether, I'm finding some good information for myself so far.

That's a sharp v dub. Let me know if you need parts I've got a guy close to me with several of these.

Pm therabbittree if you ever need any info on these ... He's a long time friend of mine and a vw genius . He built a mechanically injected 1.9 tdi , slapped it in a rabbit pickup and its still one of the scariest rides I've ever had in a vehicle. Torque steer is all I have to say!

Look up the relay mod for your glow plus. There is a lot of resistance in the wiring circuit.Then shim the gov and add a low psi lift pump. That should help on starting and acceleration.

Back