85 VW golf hard start

hoffdog

Friend of mine bought an 85 VW golf with 1.6 diesel, he's having problems with it starting, once starts it runs fine. It sounds like it is hitting but wont quite fire up without quite a bit of cranking. Previous owner said it had new glowplugs, the glowplug light comes on and stays on when the key is on. Any ideas?

The light should come on then go off, not stay on all the time if thats what your saying... GP controller is probably toast. Check for voltage at the GPs. The IDI vw diesels will start even when half worn out and low on compression if the GPs work and aren't half burnt up.

Jason

If the GP light is constantly on, that should mean the water canister is full...

Make sure he has the fast glow plug system as almost all the glow plugs today are the fast ones. With a slow glow plug relay and fast glow plugs, you can burn them too fast and make them inoperable with too much heat. Also, new fast relay with slow plugs will not get the plugs up to heat fast enough.

Personally been through this. I took a 10ga to a relay, relay to a fuse box, 1 fuse for each glow plug, 12ga wire to each glow plug, no buss bar.

The relay should be activated by a monetary switch.

Also, the Autolite GP's are ok for 1 or 2 summers and only 1 winter. The Bosch are $$$ but worth their weight in gold.

It will say it on the relay box. I will try to find out the part numbers.

A system from a 89 1.6L is fast. 85-86 were the changeover years.

checked the car out and the plugs are getting power. Any advise on removing the glow plugs?

VERY CAREFULLY!

Lots of patience and a 5/16ths or 8mm wrench. Best way to get #3 off is removing the IP lines.

Back