86 Fummins Build

PSD0389

I started this project about a year ago, but it got put on hold with the sudden decision to put a cummins in my king ranch and I stole the donor truck for my 86 for the King Ranch.

Im getting back to the project now though, this 86 F-150 this was my first truck I had since I was 16 that has always been a mess of problems, so after 5 years of sitting it has become my new fummins project.

I picked up a dodge dana 60 and 80 to put under the truck

All the ford wiring is a mess so Im gonna redo everything

Im keeping the 3" body lift and around 4" suspension with Chrome 20s and 35s

Im gonna just post these pictures in order of what I did so the dates will be off on when I did what:

As of right now the old 302, tranny and tcase is out and the front end is out along with the whole dash and bed is unbolted ready to come out. Today Im gonna pull the stock axles out.

Here are pictures so far!

What it looked like:
P1010823.jpg

P1010821.jpg

Old 302:
IMG_20110916_191114.jpg

Dash torn out
IMG_20110916_191130.jpg

New axles:
IMG_20110927_133512.jpg

How the truck looks right now:
IMG_20110927_133444.jpg

IMG_20110927_133453.jpg

IMG_20110927_133433.jpg

Also for a quick update I was out of town this weekend but today I got U-bolts made for the dana 80 and finished bolting that in and pulled the fenders off so we can start working on the front axle tomorrow
IMG_20111003_180315.jpg

IMG_20111003_180324.jpg

IMG_20111003_180334.jpg

IMG_20111003_180348.jpg

Well havent got a whole lot done lately cause I was out of town last weekend, but did get the old TTB out of the front end and got the Old coil buckets off. I also pulled out some more unnecessary wiring then once I can get a hold of a wiring diagram that actually shows everything for chassis electrical I can go further with that or just buy an 18 circuit painless harness and start from scratch.
IMG_20111005_172257.jpg

fb252810.jpg

2270a46a.jpg

4d44582b.jpg

Well me and Bryan have been working some more the past two days and finally have the dana 60 under the front of the truck! Its not all done but we got the frame all notched out and welded and the dodge coil buckets cut off the donor truck and cut down and welded on the truck.

Dont worry the buckets are not done yet, we are gonna do plenty more bracing on them, then its on to the 3 link and getting the trac bar and steering mounted up and the frame boxed.
05b74620.jpg

5f8bfa3c.jpg

ea305740.jpg

4630c155.jpg

61b34ef3.jpg

24038048.jpg

f6126c2a.jpg

db583c00.jpg

Well I havent got a ton done on the truck lately, just been busy with a lot of stuff, we did get the coil buckets all finished up for the dana 60 and I got the old 302 motor mounts off and all the wiring and old fuel lines off the frame rail and more little stuff.

Well as many know I put this build on hold since I did the swap in my king ranch kind of out of nowhere and used all the donor parts I had for the 86 for the king ranch.

Well now that the king ranch is up and running, its time to get back to this one!

Big thanks to Matt Kelly, I got an industrial 12v engine for this truck now. Its in pretty rough shape, been sitting a while with the head off so it will need a full rebuild like my 24v did, but that was expected.

Luckily Im in my custom engine building class right now where Im in a shop with every single top of the line machining tool I need to rebuild this engine and do all the machining. We even have a nice sunnen crank balancer as well.

So starting tomorrow Ill tear down the bottom end and the head. Shot blast/hot tank and magnaflux everything that needs it and go from there. The cylinder walls have some good rust in them so im expecting to have to go .020 over.

The plans with the engine are:

Bore .020 over
Check main and rod journals and hone as necessary
Magnaflux head, Im assuming it will need new guides and possibly a couple new valves unless I can clean them up
Deck the block
Deck head
Balance the crank, rods, pistons, etc so it will have a fully balanced bottom end
Do complete rebuild on engine.

I know it will need new injectors as well and the engine had no turbo, Im thinking I may just go with a set of 5x.012 and an HE351 since I wont have funds to do a ton of performance on this thing and be able to get the truck done for a while.

The p-pump I have with it is most likely just good as a core, but Ill probably take it and the injectors to columbus diesel supply to have checked out.

When I was down at Matt's I also had him order me a set of ARP 12mm head studs and 60lb valve springs so those will be going in as well.

Then I need to get an alternator, new water pump, one more rocker arm setup cause it was missing and other little odds and ends.

I want to try to have this be a fresh built long block ready to drop in the truck in three weeks time. Thats the goal.

Then it will sit all wrapped up til its ready to go into the truck, but since I can do all the machine work myself for free I figure now is the time to take advantage.

Then I want to move on to getting the rest of the truck ready for the engine this winter

For a trans Im either going to run an NV4500 or ZF-5, I already have one with an auto so might as well go manual for this one.

Here is the engine:
IMG_20121021_142800.jpg

Last edited:
Yea me too, should be startin a thread on it soon , my 92 is a donor truck that I started drivin when I totaled my newer truck. I didn't want any more electronic trucks so I'm finally going to build one.

Yeah im looking for a clean dually to convert to 4x4 and use my 01 as a donor. Im looking forward to seeing this one and yours finished.

have you finished mouting the front axle yet?

No not yet, Once I started the King ranch I just put this one to the side, its still sitting in a corner of a barn.

Here's my 86.
020911160816.jpg
hopefully it will look as good as yours someday, it's hopefully getting swapped soon.

Thatll be sweet when its done

Yeah im looking for a clean dually to convert to 4x4 and use my 01 as a donor. Im looking forward to seeing this one and yours finished.

Thanks, Im hoping to have it done by next summer

Matt,
can't wait to see this one finished, I love that year Ford. I have been trying to get a showroom clean 84 extended cab 2 wheel drive, it was my grandpa's truck.

I noticed you have the front sump oil pan on there are you planning to convert that to a rear sump?

Cool project! Love those 80-86 fords:rockwoot:

Thanks!

Matt,
can't wait to see this one finished, I love that year Ford. I have been trying to get a showroom clean 84 extended cab 2 wheel drive, it was my grandpa's truck.

I noticed you have the front sump oil pan on there are you planning to convert that to a rear sump?

Thank you! Im a big fan of this year ford too, and there is no way I could ever get rid of my first truck, and that would a sweet truck to have if you can get that from your grandpa!

Yeah Im gonna be converting it to rear sump. I have a rear sump pan already and should have the pickup tube for it soon too.

Well this engine definitely has not wanted to give me any breaks! Literally everything that could be seized in this engine is seized! I spent 5 hours of class today trying to tear everything down, to start with:

Getting the injectors out of the head proved to be fun, I bent the **** out of 3 of them trying to get them out so that was fun. After getting the valve springs out, every single exhaust valve was seized in the head. That just took a little persuasion with a hammer and brass chisel. Inside the ports of the valves was a collection of some kind of wood nut, rust and other furry soft things for animals to make homes with LOL under the intake was full of that too.

So far I let the head soak in the hot tank for about 45 minutes after that, and tomorrow it will get shot blasted.

Now for the engine:

Lets see, the two cylinders with rust have the walls so screwed up that those pistons are VERY seized in there. Since I couldnt get the rod bolts out of two of the rods due to their position that made it hard to turn over the engine to get the bolts out of the thrust plate for the cam and in turn I couldnt get the front cover off, so I had no way to get the crank out anyways.

So with the persuasion of a torch the thrust plate bolts heads went bye bye, but of course the cam was seized in the bores. That consisted of removing the plug on the back of the block and beating the cam out of the block with a BFH and brass punch. The cam has a couple rusted lobes so thatll need replaced. Gonna need new tappets too cuase those dont look so hot either.

Then I got the front cover off, used the hoist to lift the crank out some so I could get to those rod bolts and out came the crank. I ran out of time then so tomorrow will be getting those seized rods and pistons out.

All I have to show for this today is a decently swollen left hand thanks to the BFH and my bad aim LOL

Here are some pics

All the crap that came out the head:
IMG_20121023_112830.jpg

You can see the poor condition of the cam
IMG_20121023_121606.jpg

Little bit of rust down there on the old bearings
IMG_20121023_121612.jpg

IMG_20121023_121617.jpg

Sorry to hear about the critter condo, at least it was not used as a trotline weight before you got it.
If you have time vinigar is a hell of a rust remover.
good luck with the motor. Looks like you are missing a few parts. I have some medium duty parts like t-stat HOUSING, water inlet, fan, and ac mount. If you can make um work they are yours.

Back