87 Octane in Diesel Fuel

Bigmike75

I have a friend that claims to run 87 octane in every tank of diesel fuel in his 2006 Dodge CR. He claims that it improves his mpg without effecting his motor. I'm not sure what ratio he mixes the fuel at, but is this possible? What effect would this have on the motor?

I imagine less than 10% you could get by with it. Of course it is only 2006 so he may not get 150K out of his engine.

I imagine less than 10% you could get by with it. Of course it is only 2006 so he may not get 150K out of his engine.

x2 or less like 1-2 gallons per 30gallons its possible... but not recommended

I bet he cant figure out why his CR is has more rattle to it than others.

I can't figure out why he would risk that. Tell him to just throw some 2 stroke oil in there if he wants to have an additive.

IN my 97 I use to put a gallon in the tank when we were up in the UP of michigan in the winter. IT helped it not to gel up

IN my 97 I use to put a gallon in the tank when we were up in the UP of michigan in the winter. IT helped it not to gel up

You could do that, or you could just buy the winter blend that they sell at the fuel island. I never had a problem with fuel gelling up. Adding gasoline is just a bad idea in my opinion.

I can't figure out why he would risk that. Tell him to just throw some 2 stroke oil in there if he wants to have an additive.

how much 2 stroke oil you talking? and how much do you benefit from it? would you more on a 12v, 24v or CR?:poke:

You could do that, or you could just buy the winter blend that they sell at the fuel island. I never had a problem with fuel gelling up. Adding gasoline is just a bad idea in my opinion.

I didnt trust the fuel up north. My grandfather was a retired diesel machanic and he always told me story of them doing it in the garage where he worked.

I dont have this problem anymore since my truck is stored all winter

And back in his day refining wasn't as advanced, nor were the additives that went into the fuels, or the engines and injection systems on the engines...

Adding gasoline to diesel lowers the cetane. Not exactly the best idea out there.

added gas in the semi it ran fine with it. we added 5 gallon to about 40 gallon of fuel. but i was also fine with blowing it up. i dunno if id run it in a daily driver.

We used to run alot of kerosene in our 6.9. In the UP, we always filled up south of the bridge, since fuel stations are far and between the places we were at in the UP. I am assuming snowmobiling Robts? Where at?

Kerosene is just about the same thing as #1 diesel so that should be fine to mix for cold temps.

This is what it says in my VW Jetta diesel manual...Mind you it is an '85...

"If winterized Diesel No.2 is not available, mix Diesel Fuel No.2 with up to 50% Diesel Fuel No.1 or Kerosene. Engine power may drop. Therefore keep percentages of No.1 Diesel Fuel or Kerosene as low as temperature allows.

Only if Diesel Fuel No.1 nor winterized Diesel Fuel No.2 are available, use up to 30% leaded or unleaded gasoline.

Do not use Premium gasoline

Mixing Diesel Fuel No.2 with No.1 with Kerosene or gasoline, must be done before wax starts to seperate. Later mixing may be effective in the fuel tank but not the rest of the system.

Always add the correct amount of No.1, Kerosene or gasoline to the fuel tank first, and then fill up with Diesel fuel No.2.

2stroke oil I found out makes my motor run smoother. Idles alot quieter

2stroke oil I found out makes my motor run smoother. Idles alot quieter

Waste cooking oil does this to mine too...

I have put as much as 2 gallons of old, stale gasoline in my '96, but that was along with waste cooling oil and waste engine oil. When I change the oil in my Liberty or either of my trucks, it goes into the fuel tank of the ole '96. Not sure I would do these things with a computerized engine though.

Back