88mm cartridge

Drothgeb

Almost Fast-N-Loud
I picked up this B/W cartridge with a 88mm compressor wheel. Once it got delivered though, I think it's the old Garrett TV wheels. It has 7 blades, pretty short, barely reaches the recirculation groove.

I'm already running one of FI's billet 80mm wheels, and I'm guessing it would be a waste of time messing with it. Anybody got specs or opinions on it? I'd be running it as a primary in a 64/88 combo.

Last edited:
Standard 88/96 turbine, that's what I wanted.

Here's a couple pictures of the compressor wheel...

P1010824_zps73f35ec5.jpg

P1010821_zps5e49778c.jpg

Meh, how can you distinguish old skool Garrett from old skool Borg?

Are not the shaft sizes slightly different on comparable frames?

I think ya need to pop the wheel off and see what kind of number is on the back, if any.

Otherwise it might be a pig 'n a poke...

I have an older TV series garrett sitting at the house that has a 88mm wheel as well. Want me to check the exducer and snap some pics for you?

From my understanding the Borg 88s didn't perform very well on the s400 chassis due to stalling out in the cover. The cover(s), .63 and .66 simply didn't flow enough for turbo to perform as should, which was why most guys get into the Garret chargers at this level and above? So depending on the hybrid specs on it, not sure how well it'd do. Unless its a Borg cartridge with Garret covers and/or wheels etc.

Last edited:
This is an 88mm TV series Garrett I was given, chewed up but maybe good enough for comparison.

tv88.jpg

So I guess I'll ask a totally retarded question.....did this CHRA come directly from BW just like it sits, or did this come from some shop who is doing some Frankensteining / R&D / cleaning off their shelves?

Is it a BW comp cover?

I could be wrong but I thought someone told me that BW and GT shaft sizes have always been slightly different and as such there is no simple swapping back and forth...but I don't have any way to verify that across all time...

There's a ton of GT wheels at 118mm exducer but I am unaware if BW made any to that OD. None of their current wheels seem to have any common dimensions with GT.

I have an older TV series garrett sitting at the house that has a 88mm wheel as well. Want me to check the exducer and snap some pics for you?

Yeah, I'd appreciate that!

From my understanding the Borg 88s didn't perform very well on the s400 chassis due to stalling out in the cover. The cover(s), .63 and .66 simply didn't flow enough for turbo to perform as should, which was why most guys get into the Garret chargers at this level and above? So depending on the hybrid specs on it, not sure how well it'd do. Unless its a Borg cartridge with Garret covers and/or wheels etc.

If this is the Garrett wheel, it flows about the same as the 82mm, so that shouldn't be an issue with the .66, or at least that's what I'm hoping. My goal was to get the same amount of air as now, but at a lower pressure ratio. I seem to do better when I keep the boost down (fewer blown couplings, leaks and etc) The wheel I'm using flows a lot, but I need to be pushing mid 40s out of the primary, I was hoping that I could get the same air at closer to 35psi out of the primary, and keep my total boost under 80psi. As it is, mid 40s puts me closer to 90psi unless I open the secondary gate more, then it doesn't run as well.

So I guess I'll ask a totally retarded question.....did this CHRA come directly from BW just like it sits, or did this come from some shop who is doing some Frankensteining / R&D / cleaning off their shelves?

Is it a BW comp cover?

I could be wrong but I thought someone told me that BW and GT shaft sizes have always been slightly different and as such there is no simple swapping back and forth...but I don't have any way to verify that across all time...

There's a ton of GT wheels at 118mm exducer but I am unaware if BW made any to that OD. None of their current wheels seem to have any common dimensions with GT.

Not a retarded question at all. It's definitely a Franken-cartridge, from someone who didn't know exactly what they had. And I knew I was rolling the dice, but I do that all the time, usually with good results. This time I was expecting a 6 blade wheel, so I was petty surprised to see 7. But I bought "as is" so I'm stuck. Didn't come with a cover either. That's really where I'm at right now. I have a spare race cover, and I'm deciding whether I should cut it to match the wheel or just drop back and punt.

So this thread has me wondering. I have a s400 with a 88mm compressor, it's a cast 6 blade. Is this a Garrett wheel?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379037509.166126.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s

The 6 blade is the one to have. That's what I thought I was getting. Flows ~135lbs.

In the pic in post 12, it looks like the MWE is just totally in the wrong place at the tips of the main blades....as in, some other wheel was put in there that's not as tall as the one in the original application....

So this thread has me wondering. I have a s400 with a 88mm compressor, it's a cast 6 blade. Is this a Garrett wheel?
View attachment 46284

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Borg Warner does indeed make an 88mm Compressor wheel. They just don't perform like the Garrett of similar size. The Borgs tend to flow more, which is actually where the problem lays. They tend to stall out/choke inside the covers cause the wheel flows more than the compressor cover will flow.

In the pic in post 12, it looks like the MWE is just totally in the wrong place at the tips of the main blades....as in, some other wheel was put in there that's not as tall as the one in the original application....

Good eyes! That's part of my concerns about mine, it barely reaches the groove.

Borg Warner does indeed make an 88mm Compressor wheel. They just don't perform like the Garrett of similar size. The Borgs tend to flow more, which is actually where the problem lays. They tend to stall out/choke inside the covers cause the wheel flows more than the compressor cover will flow.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. If BW knew they needed, say, a 0.86 A/R cover on the compressor, why would they put a smaller cover on it, unless it was built to some kind of space/dimensional constraint?

Saying the wheel "outflows" the cover is kinda odd; they both act as a unit because it contains the essential diffuser component. How can you know what the flow potential of the wheel without the correct cover?

Are you suggesting they got the flow they needed for some OEM app with the 88 wheel, put a small cover on it to fit under the hood, and knew that it was hamstrung a bit?

If I remember correctly, the source of my info had explained that on the 88mm compressors with the large exducer they have, that pushed to a certain pressure ratio in a performance application is when the wheel will actually outflow the cover in a .63 and .66 cover. As Im not positive on the cover options available for the 88 but I would almost bet BW has a cover that will work for a performance application. Now this was a couple years ago, and the design may have changed between then and now.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. If BW knew they needed, say, a 0.86 A/R cover on the compressor, why would they put a smaller cover on it, unless it was built to some kind of space/dimensional constraint?

Saying the wheel "outflows" the cover is kinda odd; they both act as a unit because it contains the essential diffuser component. How can you know what the flow potential of the wheel without the correct cover?

Are you suggesting they got the flow they needed for some OEM app with the 88 wheel, put a small cover on it to fit under the hood, and knew that it was hamstrung a bit?

This was the impression I got when it was explained to me.

Its the exact same concept as a turbine wheel. Say you have a 74mm turbine in a 12cm housing on an s300. It'll run great, until pushed to the point of excessive drive pressure. The same concept applies to compressor wheels and compressor covers.

Back