89 blazer ppumped 4bt prodject starts now... ill update as i go. heres the first pic.

jaybuller

USCG MK
100_4745.jpg

enjoy,, plans are to go with 181 dvs, injectors not sure yet, 3000 gsk. and a he341.. well see where it goes from there.

the motor was a running take out and the engine data plate says it is a remand unit (with a mfg date of 05 31 2005) its all so clean and tight im not touching it to rebuild it. Originally i was going to but when i got it it had a full sump of used oil so i said hell with it and took a sample in a cat sample bottle and took it up to catterpiller. It came back as everything normal and no unaccptable levels anywhere and the anallisis actually recomendedto keep running with the oil.. So as for now i am just going to get it running first off in the truck then start the modding... im looking to get somwheres close to 400 with it in the future but for now ill just have to see what 130 hp feels like in this truck...

Last edited:
Awesome PLEASE keep this updated with plenty of pics! I love old Chevy's and CTD's!! :drool1:

yes it is if you use a 6bt tranny adapter.(wich i have) i now just need a nv4500 and bellhousing.

bTW if anyone wants this sae tranny adapter and flexplate set up off this 4bt let me know and ill sell it to you for cheap..

Watching and waiting until you get the 400hp!
Just a note- The 4bt ROCKS with 400hp! :rockwoot:
Be sensible tho. After 400 it gets wicked, and then scatters parts on the highway :bang
Tuning is everything! :Cheer:

ill bet it does! my imidiate plans as of now for the power improvments are going to be 16* timing, no plate but tune the afc with a better spring heated and streched to my liking...and then 181s and some injectors. Im not real sure on the injectors just yet. Heck i dont even know what kind of injectors it takes... Im assuming it takes a regular ole 12v 145* injector like the 2nd gens but im not sure on that..

I had an old 5x13 155* injector when I made a near 500hp dyno run.
You'll want full cut delivery valves...

thats going to nice jay Im about to fire up mine tomorrow so we'll see if my mounts will hold haha

Well got the engine all steam cleaned up and taken apart and regasketed. I took the front cover off to do the KDP fix and set the pump timing. Well i popped the cover off and i couldnt realy do the KDP like i was able to on my 97 12v because the bold was down in a pocket(not flush with the top of the KDP hole. so i just banged up the aluminum so it closed the hole up so the dowl pin wouldnt be able to fit back through if it were to ever work its way back toward the opening. I also set the pump timing to 16.5 *
BTW it is difficult to set a 4bt ppump. soon as you pop off the gear the pump spins bacwards.. it doesnt hold itself like the 6cly version does. you have to hold it where you want it by rolling the pump to the desired lift then pinning it, and its not easy like you can roll it over by hand. You have to put the nut on the shaft and use a wrench then when you get it to the desired lift setting you have to figure out how to get the nut and wrench off with out desturbing your lift setting. It was a big pain in the azz for me. I used the valve drop method for finding exact TDC on the engine. i set the plunger lift on the pump to 6.5mm at TDC. should be right around 16.5*

100_4750.jpg

100_4752.jpg

100_4753.jpg

now i have to find a metal polishing place close so i can get my intake plate, intake horn and valve covers polished. Should look pretty good.

Last edited:
it might of had the newer front cover like my truck did where the hole was actually smaller than the pin so that it couldnt come out. looks like a fun build.

Well got the engine all steam cleaned up and taken apart and regasketed. I took the front cover off to do the KDP fix and set the pump timing. Well i popped the cover off and i couldnt realy do the KDP like i was able to on my 97 12v because the bold was down in a pocket(not flush with the top of the KDP hole. so i just banged up the aluminum so it closed the hole up so the dowl pin wouldnt be able to fit back through if it were to ever work its way back toward the opening. I also set the pump timing to 16.5 *
BTW it is difficult to set a 4bt ppump. soon as you pop off the gear the pump spins bacwards.. it doesnt hold itself like the 6cly version does. you have to hold it where you want it by rolling the pump to the desired lift then pinning it, and its not easy like you can roll it over by hand. You have to put the nut on the shaft and use a wrench then when you get it to the desired lift setting you have to figure out how to get the nut and wrench off with out desturbing your lift setting. It was a big pain in the azz for me. I used the valve drop method for finding exact TDC on the engine. i set the plunger lift on the pump to 6.5mm at TDC. should be right around 16.5*

100_4750.jpg

100_4752.jpg

100_4753.jpg

now i have to find a metal polishing place close so i can get my intake plate, intake horn and valve covers polished. Should look pretty good.

well no polishers close so im ggonna have to do it myself....:bang

100_4765.jpg

well polished them down to 220 grit on all 4 covers started with 80 then 120 then 220 all wet sanded by hand. easly took me 4 or 5 hours to get to this point. Just looks like brushed alluminum right now. mabey tomarrow ill get them down to 2000 grit. We will see. im also going to fire it up hopefully tomarrow if my starter comes in. Ive got a sweet pvc set up for the test run... so i can fill it full of coolant and actually get it up to temp and check the blowby.

there done... only took about 10 or 12 hours total..... that was one of the biggest pain in the butt things ive ever done. But it shure is perty now.. i am going to change the color of the rest of the engine to match the paint on my truck, im just waitin on that to get here. i also filled up the egine with elc and new engine oil and every thing is ready to start the thing right where it sets. I just now need to find a cheap flyweel or flexplate of a 2nd gen dodge cummins so i can start this sucker up...
anyone have a stock flywheel or flexplate they want to get rid of cheap? heck ill just borrow it and send it back to you if somone wants to let me borrow one of there old ones!
100_4767.jpg

you know Im pretty jealous of that garage you got that looks like a sweet place better than this carport!

Back