91mm to 94mm turbos?

seeker1056

gear head
who has run them as a single

is there anyone running bigger successfully without always fightin goin under the charger? say in the 101mm inducer range

We dont pull. But we have ran a 91mm s500 and a 94mm bb garrett as a single. The s500 was WAYYYYYY better on power and spoolup. We can light the s500 at about 2500 rpms

How much HP do you need? I know of one truck that made 2,100hp on a single 106mm.

its really not about how much hp we can make, its about maximizing the dollars spent per hp, and given the cost of a large turbo, by guess and by golly testing isn't in the budget.

was just wondering what has been tried successfully with good repeatability.

there are a few guys up here runnin 91s with not too much issue which leads me to believe bigger yet may be a possibility

given that 5 years or so ago a 88mm charger was thought to be as good as it gets, and is old news now... whats workin today

so there is no one running a 95mm or larger turbo as a single on their pull trucks in any class, or no one that is runnin one, is talkin about it?

:)

We dont pull. But we have ran a 91mm s500 and a 94mm bb garrett as a single. The s500 was WAYYYYYY better on power and spoolup. We can light the s500 at about 2500 rpms

is this with the J type 99/110 turbine wheel on the BW? also what housing?

Yes thats the turbine we have. We ran an .85 housng when it was on as a single. Now we are running it as a primary with our 483. It out spools and out powers the 104mm s510 we had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I got time slips to prove. The single s500 91mm even went faster than the 483/104mm twin setup.

I got time slips to prove. The single s500 91mm even went faster than the 483/104mm twin setup.

I'm a bit confused. You went from 83/104, to single 591, then to 83/91, increasing power every time?

Yes. We had the 83/104 on fuel only and ran 6.18. Came home, swapped the single s500 91mm on and went back to the same track and ran 6.02. Both setups with same tune, fuel only. The garrett wasnt even close to either setup. It ran 6.7x, iirc.

So with being a smaller compressor, you either found a greatly improved design, or the key is in the turbine difference?

Don't know what breed of gt55 you were running but had a truck on the dyno with a Precision pro-mod and that charger was the chiznit. I'd have a really hard time believing a s500 out powering it. We were seeing 30lbs+ out of it at 2500 and spooling it off of 1700. 5.9L. Peak boost was the nuts.

Yes. We had the 83/104 on fuel only and ran 6.18. Came home, swapped the single s500 91mm on and went back to the same track and ran 6.02. Both setups with same tune, fuel only. The garrett wasnt even close to either setup. It ran 6.7x, iirc.

Did you pick up MPH on each successive upgrade or was it just an ET gain?

The reason I ask is ET gain could be related to a myriad of other factors such as faster spool-up, more linear power delivery allowing the truck to maintain traction, more violent power delivery allowing the truck to shock load the slicks better and hook hard, etc., etc.

If you picked up MPH and ET, you flat out put down more HP to the track with each successive upgrade, which is impressive.

I've got a precision 118mm here on the shelf. Me and everyone else is scared to run it in fear of it exploding, lol. We did run it as a primary with the 483 one time. But it lost a good bit of power compared to the 104. Maybe because it needed a bigger secondary, but it definately lost power.

Back