95 12v drive train in a 98 V10 truck

Schoust

Hey Guy's I'm looking to use my drive train from a 95 12v 4x4 truck to replace the drive train in a 98 4x4 V10. I have Both trucks complete. My question is what do I need to do to make this as easy as I can? I realize that the 47rh is the way to go but is there a way to use the re trans from the 98It is almost new and the Rh trans will need work. I'm wondering about the interface of the electronics,will I be able to use the 98's?
Thanks

Find the 96-97 wiring harness with ECU and use your V10 47RE tranny

Is it that easy? I have read that the converter is a differant stall and the gov weights are also differant for the shift points. I'm also concerned with how to intigrate the diesel and the gas electronics,anyone been there on this?

No idea, I have not done this swap.

As much I understand in 47RE there is no governor weights, governor weights is more related to RH tranny.

Hmm well thats incourging! So as far as you know the only differance is the converter? From the looks of things it appears that it should be preaty straight forward with the exception of the electronics. The V10 has all the bells in it and I would like to get it all to work if possible. Anyone have any info on a build like this??

Just swap in the 12v like you would into a Ford or Chevy. Just put the sensors from the v10 on to the 12v and leave the RE in it and make sure its got tps signal. OR you could find a 98 12v auto harness and cluster and then just swap the motor only into the v10 truck and leave the trans in it. Had a buddy do the same thing

Joe

Last edited:
Hmm not sure I understand?So your bud was able to use the gas engine sensors on the Diesel? Does your bud go on the forums?
I sure would like to chat with him about how he got this done! As far as finding the harness and cluster fom a 98 12v they appear to be as rare as Hens teeth!!

I'm contemplating doing this same swap into my 99 V10 using a 12V. From what I've found online regarding swap's into a gas Dodge is most everything bolts right up. Us V10 guys have the same tranny used in the Diesel (as you already know) but the computer programming is different between the 2 (higher shift points in the V10). I've found a thread where someone swapped into a V10 truck and at WOT the shifts were later than he wanted but normal driving it wasn't too bad. Personally I think a reprogram of the computer could fix it or swapping to a Diesel computer could do it. Possibly some tuners out there have this built in (SCT/Etc?)

As for the rest of it, I've also seen guys take the Crank position sensor from the gas truck (using gas gauge cluster) and put evenly spaced notches into the damper of the diesel and mount the CPS so it picks up the Diesel RPM's. This will obviously help the V10 computer decide when to properly shift and also allow RPM's on the gas truck gauges. The MPH is taken off the rear diff so thats not an issue either. Other than that, there must be other sensor's that would need to be fitted to the 12V but I'm at a loss because I don't know all the sensors used on the 12V.

My other thought is possibly getting the truck flashed by a dealer (or someone able to flash the computer) from a gas computer to a diesel. I'm not 100% sure if thats even possible.

Any info would be appreciated if anyone has answers to any of this.

The trans is the same as mentioned, just need a diesel converter.

Just did a newer gas swap. Was able to use gas sensor hookups by getting adapters for them to fit the block.

Search up 2006 4.7 gas to ve 12v.

Ktown6.0- I did read your thread before and just re-read again :). Where did you find the adapters for the sensors? Also, I believe the pre 02 trucks would be an easier swap since they aren't so computer controlled. The newer trucks have a lot going on, so its good to see that a 2006 was able to run using a gas computer & harness.

What I'm wondering is the tone wheel for the CPS- when I did a 5 speed swap on my 5.9 gas truck it took the readings off a wheel that bolted to the torque converter. My thoughts are that this could be re-used on the cummins?

I posted a picture of what this wheel looks like (granted this was a 5.9 V8, not a V10 but I'd assume the V10 uses the same wheel for pickup)

Attachments

• Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
very interested in this build! I am thinking about doing the V10 to 12V swap in a 96

Im currently doing this swap in a 96. Rebuilding the 12v now. I have heard its the simplest swap to do. I guess ill find out and if i see any cluster/wiring problems ill post them on here

The easiest way is to find a 1998 12v harness and plug and play. Mechanical wise anything will bolt up easy, but to get the dash to work right it will either need some messing with or just use a 98 harness. You would have to use a RE trans with the 98 harness though. You could put the 95 dash in the 98 to make it a cheap swap and use the RH trans with the 94/95 computer.

I am sure you could get the 95 harness with the RH trans to work with the 98 dash, just going to take some tinkering and wiring.

Tobin

Last edited:
Back