95 12valve, transmission slipage

Fire_Fly666

Well I hopfully going to look at this truck and the ad says the tranny is starting to slip a lill, that said I already plan on replacing the tranny with a much better one. My question is what can I do or use in the mean time to keep the truck on the road as a daily driver?

To keep the trans running a little longer - Increase line pressure a little bit? Change the trans oil? Drive it like a grandma. Always let the TC fill before you drive it.

Drain the fluid, add a new filter, and replace the fluid with John Deere Hygard. Even if the clutches are worn down to bare metal, the Hygard has enough bite to get you by for a while.

Sent a message to user JTaylor, he got a few more runs out of his 48re transmission on this 2003 that started to slip with standard ATF+4 by simply switching to John Deere HyGard.

Remember, no fluid is going to magically repair a hurt transmission, the HyGard is just the best band-aid out there, about $55-60 for 5 gallons. You'll need about 12-16 quarts to change the fluid so you'll have a gallon or two left over for the new transmission.

well thats all good, lol but it doesn't help anything if this guy takes days to get back to me like he has been.

I'd worry more about your screen name and how Satan will temp you, than a truck tranny!

As you say in your sig... WTF???

Oh here we go another religious bible thumper.....what did I ever do to you. And as for my sig, you'd have to know me to acually understand that. Hey it could't always be worse. And for you out there that are still interested in the truck.

I heard from the guy today......I don't know what he does , I don't wanna know but he said he's at some EMS conference on bioterrorism.....so I'm not gonna complain or anything anymore....don't want any bad karma. Just have to let things happen.

Oh here we go another religious bible thumper.....what did I ever do to you. And as for my sig, you'd have to know me to acually understand that. Hey it could't always be worse. And for you out there that are still interested in the truck.

I heard from the guy today......I don't know what he does , I don't wanna know but he said he's at some EMS conference on bioterrorism.....so I'm not gonna complain or anything anymore....don't want any bad karma. Just have to let things happen.

Serious much?

did you ask him what gear(s) it is slipping in?

have no idea how many miles are on it or how it was maintained but it could just be that the conv is starting to chatter. if that is the case and you are gonna build it later anyways you could always throw a billet triple disc in it and as long as you dont grenade the thing in the meantime you will have one less part to worry about when the time comes

if you do this and do lose a planet down the road (your rh trans came with the weaker 4 pinion planets - they dont like torque just like a single disc dont - later into the 90's they came with 5 and early 2k's with 6 - sometimes more is better :) you will need to send the converter back to where u got it to have em cut it open to inspect if not just to get the junk out of it

good luck

planning on going with a 5 star torqure converter, with a stage 1 tranny and deep pan all from ATS diesel. I'm also thinking of putting in there copilot to. I'm gonna make power but this will be my daily driver (if I get it) and the tranny is number 1 on the list. All I want to do to the engine so far(just to get my feet wet and see if I like it) is a Power Pack system from banks.

Sry about the serious-ness. in the other post.

planning on going with a 5 star torqure converter, with a stage 1 tranny and deep pan all from ATS diesel. I'm also thinking of putting in there copilot to. I'm gonna make power but this will be my daily driver (if I get it) and the tranny is number 1 on the list. All I want to do to the engine so far(just to get my feet wet and see if I like it) is a Power Pack system from banks.

Sry about the serious-ness. in the other post.

I once heard a proverb that a fool and his money are easily parted. I'm not sure exactly what that saying means but it keeps coming to my mind every time I read the above post.

Oh, and before you go blowing money on overpriced slighter better than stock parts, read a few transmission threads by using the search function at the top of the page.

You will be lead to a reputable transmission builder that will sell you only what you need at a fair price. If you don't want to search, let me make a suggestion: send a private message to member: Slowpoke and ask him about his recommendation on a torque converter for your truck. Then send a message to member : Jeff2 and ask him about his recommendation on an upgraded transmission for your truck.

if thats all your gunna do....just to see if you like it...
I wouldnt spend to much or go all out on the tranny. just have it rebuilt with a good converter and maybe valve body...if even that...

If you think ATS is over priced then what should I go with then? I only want to buy the transmission once. Is suncoast any good? I'm will to take your advice, and I will admit I've probly been a little sucked in to there youtube videos, but I don't see anyone else out there with videos of there shop. Any ideas on who's transmission to go with? I'd look it up myself but I'm quite busy with a 12 hour shift at the moment. Is BD diesel any good either?
What about the PATC?

ATS on YouTube reminds me of all those as seen on tv products. If it's on tv it must be real and it must be the best right.:nail:

If you think ATS is over priced then what should I go with then? I only want to buy the transmission once. Is suncoast any good? I'm will to take your advice, and I will admit I've probly been a little sucked in to there youtube videos, but I don't see anyone else out there with videos of there shop. Any ideas on who's transmission to go with? I'd look it up myself but I'm quite busy with a 12 hour shift at the moment. Is BD diesel any good either?
What about the PATC?

Are you for real? send me a PM..

Well That guy still hasn't gotten back to me when he said he would so I'm just giving up on this truck, besides it was a lill far out of the way in ohio, and I'm in PA

What about the PATC?
Its just that theres a lot of people that spent thier money on transmissions from them and ended up not getting anything they paid for (for instance lack of billet shafts). There is probably even a local trans shop with a good reputation thatwill build you a good transmission for less then what ats wants

Suncoast is a good one as is Garmon and DTT. Dave Goerend is another good tranny builder. Talk to all 4 of those shops. The biggest key to only spending money once on a tranny is to be very honest with the builder. If you have the slightest inkling that you might want to go to 500-600hp then let them know. If you think you want to try sled pulling or drag racing then let them know. Is this a daily driver or play truck? I spent 20mins on the phone with my builder quizzing me on my truck and how I used it and what my goals were for my truck before we built it. 100K miles later and this tranny hasn't slipped once and I've tried to make it slip.

Back