95 PSD ejecting coolant from degas bottle

Offroad Diesel

Hey guys I am new to Competition Diesel and I have a bit of a stumper. I have a 95 PSD that started off with intermittent heat and would eventually push coolant out the top of the degas bottle a few minutes after start up. Around town it would seem to settle down after warm up but if I got on the Hiway and punched it pretty much all the coolant woulg come out of the top of the bottle. Took it into the dealer and they pulled the glowplugs and drained the rad to the level of the thermostat housing. They then proceeded to put each glowplug back in its cylinder and crank the engine. It appears that cylinder 2, 6, and 8 were introducing bubbles into the cooling system. Oddly enough there never was much sign of oil in the coolant or vice versa but there was a fair bit of condensation under the valve covers.
I have since pulled the head off and I really don't see any catastrophic failures in the head gasket. Is it actually possible for the head gasket to leak compression into the cooling system without severely damaging the head gasket? There seemed to be quite a bit more pitting on the intake valves faces in the 2 rear most cylinders as well as some unusual staining, almost like water staining but it wouldn't rub off, around the top inch of the same 2 cylinders. Should I be looking for something else like cavitation or a crack? Has anybody else experienced this?

Most likely it is a head gasket, the compression is pushing the coolant out

I was gonna say possibly Injector Cups also if the head gaskets looked good..

Cracked Head or Block also come too mind

I used to be a Ford diesel tech. You can count on a cracked injector cup. If your handy they can be changed without pulling the head. We had those fancy dealer tools to pull them.

BlackandStacked would the injector cup cracking be visible. I have the head off and injectors out and don't really see any visible cracking. I have also heard that combustion leaks can develope between the cylinderhead and the injector cup bottom if the sealant has deteriorated

He's probably right, but when the headgasket went on the cummins, it looked fine. Couldn't really tell that it was leaking, but it was leaking bad! Just a thought.

while you have the head off I would replace all of the injector cups and reinstall with new head gasket. Maybe even do head studs if you plan on anything bigger and badder in the future.

The cracks can be visible then again they can benot so visible. If you have the heads off I would strongly recomend replacing all the sleeves. Yes they can leak at the bottom of the sleeve.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have got the heads off and they are at the local machine shop being checked for warpage and cracking. If everything is good I will have all the injector cups replaced and reinstall the heads with new headgaskets. I will keep you informed of the results

Took the cylinder head in question to the machine shop. Turns out it is slightly warped so they resurfaced it. There is a shop in town that tells me they can pressure test the sleeves for $65. Has any one else had experience with this pressure test. If it works it is probably worth it

Took the head to be pressure tested. At least 2 injector sleeves were leaking. Ford charged me $347 and change to swap injector sleeves for new ones. I am pretty much ready to reinstall the head. Hope all goes well

Back