96 2wd trans upgrade.

96 12v

I see a lot of people talk about built 47re's and don't talk about much of what parts they upgrade or use besides billet shafts and trpl disc trq converter.

Been looking Around and I'm kinda surprised that there's not a sticky on what parts you should get with a list of optional makers. So it might be simpler to piece together a trans from what's available to present to a trans builder to put it together.

I just don't see a reason to spend over 4k for a trans already built when my local guy will install and re install with supplied parts for $650.

I'm not a cheap ass but I'd rather not pay for a brand.

He'll even if someone had a used 47re forsale for a decent price I might buy that instead.

I know a few people who used a local guy to build a tranny and were less than happy.

Not saying your local guy doesn't know his stuff I would just ask him how many not stock diesel transmissions he has built.

The most important question is: What is your goal? Intended use?

Your billet input shaft will be $650 at least fyi.

Last edited:
I know a few people who used a local guy to build a tranny and were less than happy.

Not saying your local guy doesn't know his stuff I would just ask him how many not stock diesel transmissions he has built.

The most important question is: What is your goal? Intended use?

Your billet input shaft will be $650 at least fyi.

I know of a few people that had ATS trans and they weren't happy at all with them.

He's been doing trans repairs for 23+ years and warranties his work for a year. My buddy had his built from him and it put down 489 and 978trq but he sold it 3 months after having it built so im not too sure how long it lasted. I don't know what parts he used at all but nothing was upgraded besides the clutches, servo's and trq converter.

I'm going to adventually do a towing twin kit and make in the ball park of 400-500hp? Id just want reliable power, not insane. i have my car for insane. I do a lot of camping in the summer and I also pull a 16ft boat on the back of the 5th wheel so it does get worked.

I own a semi so I'm not a huge cheap ass I just don't want to pay that much for a trans if its not needed. Truck is also my dd, I don't care how hard it shifts either, just be happy if it shifts in all gears without a worry.

Last edited:
Back