96 & 97 12V PCM's Interchangable?

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
My 96 Auto PCM is junk.. Need a new one. Having a hard timing finding a 96 PCM..

Does anyone know off hand if 97 Auto PCM's will interchange with the 96's?

Thanks in advance!

i put a 215 pcm in a 180 auto truck, it charged fine but wouldnt shift.

Yeah I did that the other day.. put a 98 PCM in a 96, would shift to OD but no lockup unless I did it manually. I don't want to buy the 97 PCM until I know it works for sure.

Garrett, I think I have a 96 auto PCM I would trade for the 97 auto PCM

Garrett, I think I have a 96 auto PCM I would trade for the 97 auto PCM

I will probably buy a 97 PCM off of car-part if I know for sure it will work.. I guess I can go disable my 97 and try it but I figured someone would know off hand.

I will probably buy a 97 PCM off of car-part if I know for sure it will work.. I guess I can go disable my 97 and try it but I figured someone would know off hand.

I was doing some digging, and never got to try it out. I was thinking somewhere I had read that someone had done it.

I might even sell this one, I think I have about $200 in it though.

The 96PCM is fried.. Someone didn't unhook the battery cables when they welded something on the truck. T/C would not lock up, period, with lockup switch or automatically.

I put the 97 PCM on, truck goes through all gears and locks up in every gear but overdrive, you have to lock it manually in OD.

So no matter which PCM I tried, it still would not lock up on its own in overdrive.
This was all taken care of once I replaced the TPS. The other one was not registering any voltage change with movement of the throttle pedal.

Apparently even 98 PCM's will work on a 96. That is what is currently installed and its working fine.

96 97 98 works they all should comand lockup ,you might have other issues if line pressure is to high the pcm goes to limp mode ,make sure before you plug in the new pcm that you dont have a high line pressure it will limp the new oane i personaly went thru 7 of them before i found my issue

It was a combo of bad PCM and bad tps. It never limped, it just wouldn't lock up on it's own.

Spoke too soon.. The 98 PCM doesn't allow cruise control to work and the grid heaters do not cycle.. So I will still need a 96-97 PCM.

Back