96 obs speedo

greenthunder7.3

i have a 96 that has been sitting for a couple years that i got goin again. the speedometer bounces all over. do these trucks have a speed buffer and if so where is it located. i switched out the sensor with one out of another truck and it does the same thing. i checked over the wiring to make sure a mouse has'nt gone crazy and i didn't see anything so just wondering if anyone had any ideas of where to go next.

My 95 F-350 does the same thing. I was looking at a ford wiring schematic and I remember seeing a box of some sort behind the gauge cluster in the diagram. I couldn't find on one my truck and haven't had time to mess with it any more. I just rely on my GPS. LOL

Yep, they have a PSOM or something like that which buffers the signal from the VSS to the gauge.

Tobin

The PSOM is in the speedometer unit. The spedo head has an input from the VSS and a output with the reshaped signal to the ECM.

so if that were bad i would have to replace the whole guage unit. i took the unit out and didn't see anything behind it so i just replaced a bunch of burnt out bulbs in it and stuck it back in.

Back