'96 P-pump questions

Fordpowstroke73

Hey guys I know this has proably been beaten to death, but I have a friend with a '96 P-pump auto truck. So this weekend we were screwing around with his truck and we decided to take out his fuel plate in the pump. Well I take off the housing, and its not there?? The thing is the truck still runs like a dog, and doesn't have the power that I think it should. Can somebody lead me to the right direction to get him some more cheap power? The thing isn't getting any fuel, as it doesn't even smoke hardly. Thanks again, be easy on the Ford guy!

Reuben

Check the starwheel if it is to tight it can be limiting rack travel.

Check for a boost leak, sounds like its not getting enough air to the anoroid.
Also could be low fuel pressure,bad return valve,bad t/p, check to make sure the shutoff solenoid is going all the way to the up position.

Ok can you guys ellaborate more on what you mean, or show me to a thread to read on how to modify what you guys are talking about? Remember I am not a Cummins guy this is the first one I've even touched. Thanks

Hey guys I know this has proably been beaten to death, but I have a friend with a '96 P-pump auto truck. So this weekend we were screwing around with his truck and we decided to take out his fuel plate in the pump. Well I take off the housing, and its not there?? The thing is the truck still runs like a dog, and doesn't have the power that I think it should. Can somebody lead me to the right direction to get him some more cheap power? The thing isn't getting any fuel, as it doesn't even smoke hardly. Thanks again, be easy on the Ford guy!

Reuben

Sounds to me like a combination of things

if you have pulled off the plate, and the truck still runs like a dog, the governer arm is probably traveling underneath the point where the nose of the plate should be, and is really killing you powerwise there. If the plate is still there, try moving it up full forward. Now if the truck is stock, it wont be much of a kick, due to the fact that its not an aggressive plate. But it should smoke at least a little bit...

Try loosening the starwheel as much as you can
Try moving the AFC housing full forward (yes those lil mm's make a world of difference)
Check for boost leaks as stated... those suckers will drive you nuts, and believe me stock i/C boots DO NOT hold up very well... even on a mild modded truck, i went PDR Silicone Boots and have never looked back...

If you want to get more techincal, u might want to check the fuel pressure, the LP might be out and if the truck is over 75K miles, definately time for a new overflow valve...

Rick

Back