97 Powerstroke problems/questions

Tyler Kadlec

Alright so i purchased the truck with 280k miles running on 14 pushrods, last owner said they were "to short" come to find out it had broken lifters, I replaced all of that and had it running good even with the tranny problems, then one morning it just smokes white, with barely any power, I replaced the injector o-rings and then it ran fine again for about 2 days. Then a loud pop and dumping white and no power, take of the heads and found about 10 out of 16 push rods bent and a dropped valve. Question is, where do i go from here?

How bad does the piston that got dropped on look?

IMO I would find a low milage engine to swap in, 7.3s are a dime a dozen anymore and not expensive.

Ill have to post on there too I guess...

For the pistons they're pretty bad, no holes or cracks but would probably need to be replaced, The head is bad too.

Last edited:
With as many miles, I would either drop some coin an build it or the cheaper route would be just find a used motor an drop it in an go.

Hmmm decisions decisions, lol I'll probably cave and rebuild it but I will probably also need a tranny, I can pick up a 7.3 from the junk yard for $1500... Mileage is unlisted but they say it runs

Back