97 T/C locking up when it shouldn't

sledshaker

Every so often if you put it in Drive and start to take off, the TC will lock up and kill the truck. So usually I just manually shift through the gears. Today it would not shift down into first, and as soon as I hit Drive manually, it would lock the converter. Had to make sure to have enough speed out of second to keep the truck from bucking. This afternoon on the way home, everything works fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

Pull the power train relay, and manually shift it. If it doesn't lock at all on the trip home, then it is probably an electrical issue. I would then look at wiring issues, you could have a wire with insulation issues.

Relay is under the hood in the panel under the hood

That's it and someone also told me once also pull the starter relay once the truck is running

Just went for a ride after pulling the relay. It would shift into 3rd, but not into OD or lock up the TC. It would also not shift into first when stopped and the selector in 1. I would have to put it neutral then back in 1 to get it to go into first. Any ideas?

Just went for a ride after pulling the relay. It would shift into 3rd, but not into OD or lock up the TC. It would also not shift into first when stopped and the selector in 1. I would have to put it neutral then back in 1 to get it to go into first. Any ideas?

That is exactly what it should do. This would verify the hydraulics of the trans.

Damn I hate wiring issues! Any ideas on were to start on this Dan? It is very intermittent, as in 1 out of 50 times it might do this.

Look at the wiring at the VB plug. Might drop the pan and see if it is in there also.
If it is that intermittent, just cause you pulled the relay it might have not been doing it when you pulled the relay.

Back