98 12 valve PCM Questions

wpeschel

Psyko
I believe I burned up my PCM on my 98 12 valve with manual tranny. My question is I found a PCM out of a 98 12 valve, with auto, does anyone know off hand if the PCM will work on a manual? If not can it be programmed by a dealer to work? Thanks for the help..

Last edited:
i've got one from a 97 manual. dont know if its the same or not, its new. sell it to ya cheap.

From all my research It has to be a 98 12 valve PCM.

Yes it has to be from a 98 12 valve and yes an auto pcm will work in place of a manual but it will have a check engine light on. I have done a few swaps this way so yes it does work.

Yes it has to be from a 98 12 valve and yes an auto pcm will work in place of a manual but it will have a check engine light on. I have done a few swaps this way so yes it does work.

Any way to get it reprogrammed to where the engine light won't stay on?

What led you to the conclusion or diagnosis that the PCM is burned up?

Because my batteries went dead and after jumping my truck with a battery charger it surged when I was starting it and all the gauges quit working. I took it to a mechanic buddies house and he hooked it up to his computer and i
He said that the computer was not registering on his computer.

I meant do you want me to check the battery grounds, or a ground on the body somewhere?

May have lost the 12v power to the pcm. Might want to look at all fuses if you haven't already done so.

look at all you harness to body grounds, hell take them apart, clean them and reinstall. i had a firt gen at the house the other day that they wanted to charge him for a computer, it was just a bad ground.

Back