98 12v harness, pcm, gauge cluster wanted

inline6power

more hp than you
Justin as the title states looking for a 98 12v harness PCM and gauge cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

97 won't work? I have uncut harness, PCM and gauge cluster from a manual trans truck. I can post pictures if need be.

If we talk about engine harness, then 97 verus 98 12 V is only few connector difference.

98 12V PCM will work in 97, but not oppoite way

Under dash harness is different

If we talk about engine harness, then 97 verus 98 12 V is only few connector difference.

98 12V PCM will work in 97, but not oppoite way

Under dash harness is different

will a 97 harness work with a 98 pcm and gauge cluster? i am trying to get gauges to work on a common rail swap in my 98.5 24v truck. what sensors are different from the 2 harnesses.

i think it has to be a 98. seems as if the 98 was the first year the pcm and harness talked to the gauge cluster.

Nothing '97 interchanges with '98 12 valve, with respect to PCMs or harnesses.
This is why the '98 12 valve harnesses and PCMs are valued like gold and even rarer.

In 1998 the PCM communicates with the dash cluster (BUS Comm.), '97 does not.

In 1998 the speedometer is read at the axle carrier tone ring, in '97 it's read at the tail housing of the t-case, or transmission.

If you try to swap the harnesses between 1998 and 1997, be aware that the whole layout of the dash is totally different, which means you MAY have to lengthen or shorten wires.

Mark.

what if i used a 99 24v ecm and harness and my current 99 pcm? i could use the oil sensor, coolant temp sensor which would make those gauges on my cluster work now, i would just have to figure out how to get RPM to work going that route.

How will you make a '99 ECM work with a CR? What will the CR ECM do with the '98.5 gauges?

How will you make a '99 ECM work with a CR? What will the CR ECM do with the '98.5 gauges?

cr ecm is just for running the motor. vp ecm would use to get the other gauges working. i dont think the tach would work as the 24v ecm needs to see a crank sensor and the cr is already using that but i could make a adapter to use the 24v oil and coolant sensors which would work. basically the vp ecm would be used JUST for gauge purposes only

Nothing '97 interchanges with '98 12 valve, with respect to PCMs or harnesses.
This is why the '98 12 valve harnesses and PCMs are valued like gold and even rarer.

In 1998 the PCM communicates with the dash cluster (BUS Comm.), '97 does not.

In 1998 the speedometer is read at the axle carrier tone ring, in '97 it's read at the tail housing of the t-case, or transmission.

If you try to swap the harnesses between 1998 and 1997, be aware that the whole layout of the dash is totally different, which means you MAY have to lengthen or shorten wires.

Mark.

Mark, is a 8th month of 97 considered a 98? Dodge does a lot of that stuff. There's picture of the harness and pcm numbers in the classifieds...

i dont think the tach would work as the 24v ecm needs to see a crank sensor and the cr is already using that

You could do the crank sensor like I did on my 12V with a tone wheel on the damper.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1001110916.jpg
    1001110916.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 0
You could do the crank sensor like I did on my 12V with a tone wheel on the damper.

attachment.php

What tone wheel is that and where can I get one from? That will solve all my issues and I can now do everything with my stock 24v stuff

I think I have the 98 12V engine, underhood and dash harness part numbers, if somebody needs it

Tte easyest way to identify engine harness is coolant temp sensor, 97 is single pin (located at the end of cyl head) versus 98 12v have 2 pin and located at the mid of cyl head , below intake manifold

Last edited:
Is your tach smooth or is it jumpy? The one on my conversion misses and jumps like mad.

It's nice and smooth.

Now, I will tell you this. I put a new crank seal in last fall and had to remove the sensor. As it got colder, the tach wouldn't work when it was cold and would start to work as the engine got warmer. I loosened the bracket bolts and pushed the sensor as close to the tone wheel as I could and it works fine now. Evidently the sensor need a VERY small gap, like maybe .020", to function properly.

I also could not get the Destroked bracket to mount as they designed and fabricated a brace off another bolt so it cannot move.

It's nice and smooth.

Now, I will tell you this. I put a new crank seal in last fall and had to remove the sensor. As it got colder, the tach wouldn't work when it was cold and would start to work as the engine got warmer. I loosened the bracket bolts and pushed the sensor as close to the tone wheel as I could and it works fine now. Evidently the sensor need a VERY small gap, like maybe .020", to function properly.

I also could not get the Destroked bracket to mount as they designed and fabricated a brace off another bolt so it cannot move.

Good to know. I'll have to set it up with a feeler gauge and see if it fixes the issue. Thanks.

Can anyone tel me what color the wires are for the oil pressure sensor and the coolant sensor connectors?

Back