98 - 2001 Cummins 24 valve code 53 engine Block

Dodgecumminsfan

Cummins Lover, Ford Hater
Well heres the deal, that engine that we love so much because its so dependable and powerful has a big weakness and its only on certain engine blocks. Code 53 blocks are the fatal engines. They were forged in brazil when in the forging process the block became too thin. This results in a crack on the passenger side of the block. A crack will form and it will leak coolant out of it. This crack appears when you cold start the truck without heating the block first.( cold start as in extreme cold temperatures, 15 degrees and colder) My truck was bought in idaho and was an idaho truck until i bought it and brought it to Arizona. I went on a hunting trip were it got -10 degrees and had to use my diesel to get my deer instead of my hunting rig. after this hunt we started to notice water disappearing and i was concerned that i might need to replace a head gasket because of the extreme heat of AZ and because it had been sitting for 4 years with 200,000 miles. I started searching for the missing water and a found a crack about 12 inches long. I contacted dodge and cummins and neither company would do anything because of the milage and age. I searched the internet and found this product "lock n stich" and it seals the crack and it doesnt crack any more. problem is that times are tough and money is tight so i went with another company that made special welding rods to weld on cast iron blocks. But because of the low quality iron used in forging the welding rods didnt work and caused more cracks spider webing out from the orignal crack so i went and bought a salvage engine. I warn you to go and look at your engine bl,ock to see what code it is. the casting number is found on the driver side of the engine just above the oil pan behind the belt.

( its rained since i took the engine out of my truck so sorry about the rust)

Attachments

• 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN2082.jpg
    DSCN2082.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 79
Back