98 Beetle TDI newb

Red_Rattler

High Tech Redneck
So who wants to school me on the do's and do nots of TDI fuel mileage reliability and more power... Just did the timing belt at 70k so I'm good there. But this thing is seriously doggy yes i know they are not powerhouses but it will accelerate good then it will just fall on its face and almost refuse to gain anymore speed until you hit another gear then it cruises at hwy speed no problem. So is the a turbo issue or anti shudder valve or severely blocked intake?

On the topic of the intake I want to clean it out and delete the EGR wise or bad move?

New 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust minus cat to let it breath better? CAI?

Whos good at tuning these things since I will need a legit chip to install into the ECU

Anyway to diable the day time running lights since this thing has eaten a set of lights already!

Gauges?

Anything else I'm missing? :thankyou2:

Last edited:
Even if you do not delete the EGR, clean the intake, made a huge difference with my car. Vag-Com to disable the running lights IIRC.

Factory matched gauges from Isspro. I'm getting a vag com set up shortly. From what everyone says the CAI isn't a adder being the MAF but I ordered a AFE intake direct for 185 so for me I wanted the simplistic design and the cleanability. I'm heading to my local exhaust shop tomorrow to acquire on a Cat back exhaust. Turbo back doesn't look like it adds that much more when the price is taken into account.

These are all things I have learned in the last 2 weeks on my recent purchase. They are definately fun. Looks to be injectors are the best way towards mileage. Bit just as billy said clean the intake manifold. With the newer ULSD you don't have to worry about clogs as much and from what I read taking the EGR off you actually lose some mileage. On tuning Mark at Malone seems to be the way to go or RocketChip.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
clean the intake for sure, delete the EGR if you want, its not that big of a deal anymore.

Exhaust isn't necessary on the stock turbo but doesn't hurt.

The car has a factory CAI - anything you install will be detrimental until you hit 180hp, then you have some options.

I have a couple ECUs on hand and could do a hot swap if you want Malone Tuning.

Jon

I just had a turbo back priced with 2.5" for $200 :D

So I might be doing turbo back 2.5in with no cat or muffler. Now I'm searching to see if a code will be thrown when cats disappear.

Thanks! I just saw it on tdi club and crawled under and saw nothing. Turbo back it is. If too much drone noise it will be receiving a resonator.

Sorry for the derail.

So I was looking at malones tuning page and what injectors are needed to use the stage 3 tuning since it says the stock clutch might be able to handle it. Its a DD not a race car so I have faith LOL

lol, yours should hold being that its a 98, the 98 and 99 TDI's have stronger clutches than the 2000-2003 TDI's, they will slip with a stage 2 tune.

Back