99 chip/tuner recommendations

jmd025

Occasional Poster
My Uncle just brought home a 99 bone stock with an auto. He wants me to recommend a chip for it. What would be the best option for some mild power that won't kill the trans? He's gonna tow his 5 th wheel with it. I'll give him the get gauges first speech. Interested in anything with built in gauges as well, but I don't think he'd have a problem doing analogs with a ?position chip of some sort.

Thanks guys

TS 6 position and he would also do good by getting a Torque converter like a suncoast or something. It would change the way he pulls his 5er.

Theres a couple options Tony Wildman, DP Tuner, Swamps, Bill at PHP. Thats all I would put on it. No Superchips Edge or BullyDogg.

I ran a hypertec for a few years and did a lot of research and asking questions and will be installing a DPTuner tomarrow. I have been convinced that custom tunes are better performing and safer for the truck. You will want guages for sure. I am also installing a John Woods valve body. Just my $.02 Good luck

I have a Edge Evo II and and it looks neat on the dash, and I get a power gain, but the biggest gripe i have is I get lots of Black smoke.. Which was cool at first, but its actually annoying

With my dptuner in 40T it runs stronger than stage III on the hypertech thats supposed to be 100hp so the custom tunes are better I think. I hope so I spent some $$$$ for nothing if it's not

how much power does he want some of those and others will kill a tranny i would suggest a new tq mostly a triple disk lockup and a new servo. I hate the factory trans in a dodge or any vehicle for that matter if he just wants a small bump go for a edge easy, but be warned the add power is additve he'll want more later

He's pretty much sold on the Edge w/ Attitude for the monitor and alarms. Any input on it would be great.

Thanks guys

And for the record, yes, I know is not gonna run like one of the 140 horse 6 positions! LOL

TS 6 position and he would also do good by getting a Torque converter like a suncoast or something. It would change the way he pulls his 5er.

He's pretty much sold on the Edge w/ Attitude for the monitor and alarms. Any input on it would be great.

Thanks guys

And for the record, yes, I know is not gonna run like one of the 140 horse 6 positions! LOL

PM JJeepyjohn. He can get you set up with a TS which is alot better than the Edge juice w/ attitude IMO. Also, I set up the edge juice w/ attitude system on my buddies dodge for $1300. You can get guages and a better chip from TS for less than that. The advantages are better this way IMO. Alot of people burn the TS chips for custom tuning when you change injectors and such also.
Say if you bought some new single shots. You would need new tunes. With the TS chip for example, You can buy some injectors and new tunes on your old chip from Beans and not have to buy a new chip like you would with the edge.

ALSO, If he is set on the edge just for the moniter and alarms. Tell him to go with something like my setup. A TS chip with BD powers Digital Guages. It has the digital moniter which is easier to install, alarms set by your preference and in my opinion is easier to read. It also records your highs and has many different display options.
This is definatly what I would recommend over an Edge.

Thanks for the input. But you definately didn't read my post.
I know all about the advantages of the Ts 6 pos.
This is for a guy thats not gonna mod the truck like "us guys" do.
The Edge Juice w/ attitude for dodges doesn't cost $1300, somebody got ripped.
No single shots, no new tunes, no new chips.

Old man who will enjoy his 75 hp. Now any edge juice with attitude users?

The edge juice with attitude retails for about 1000 bucks. You definatly didnt read my post. I said I set it up/installed it for 1300. I read your post saying "What would be the best option for some mild power that won't kill the trans? He's gonna tow his 5 th wheel with it. I'll give him the get gauges first speech.". "He's pretty much sold on the Edge w/ Attitude for the monitor and alarms. Any input on it would be great.". The 100 HP setting on a TS chip is EXCELLENT for towing. US GUYS dont have your truck. You wanted our advice. Take it how we give it. I told you a way to save a bunch of money. Thats how it is. Take it or leave it. Dont bash my chit.

Now, any other smart ass coments?

On another note. How in the hell do you know nothing will ever change on that truck again. He might want some singles, maybe a towing turbo, hell maybe even something drastic. If you give him my advice it might save a lot of heartache later. If he goes with an edge, he will be buying ALL new stuff down the road when its time to upgrade.
Ever hear, Better safe than sorry.

Dude, I ain't trying to have a pissing contest. If it were my truck, I would be buying a TS chip for sure. I know thats the way to go. I told him all about them. HE, the OWNER of the truck, wants the Edge Juice. What am I supposed to do, tell him he can't put it on HIS truck? So now I'm just looking for some info on the Juice.

Guess what, I never "bashed your chit". I am very sorry if you misread it that way. I'm not gonna bother you ford guys anymore.

The edge juice with attitude retails for about 1000 bucks. You definatly didnt read my post. I said I set it up/installed it for 1300. I read your post saying "What would be the best option for some mild power that won't kill the trans? He's gonna tow his 5 th wheel with it. I'll give him the get gauges first speech.". "He's pretty much sold on the Edge w/ Attitude for the monitor and alarms. Any input on it would be great.". The 100 HP setting on a TS chip is EXCELLENT for towing. US GUYS dont have your truck. You wanted our advice. Take it how we give it. I told you a way to save a bunch of money. Thats how it is. Take it or leave it. Dont bash my chit.

Now, any other smart ass coments?

Where are you buying your parts. Edge Juice with Attitude doesnt sell for 1000 bucks. I bought mine 4 years ago, when they were still newer to the market for just under 600. Yes dodges are more but there just over 700, and if you shop around you can get them cheaper.

Look with your eyes on the interweb thingy. They RETAIL at MOST places for $999.99. He bought it. I installed it. He bought it for ONE THOUSAND US DOLLARS. Hell, on the edge website they are still $800.00 for an 05.

Nevermind Im done with this goat rodeo.

Look with your eyes on the interweb thingy. They RETAIL at MOST places for $999.99. He bought it. I installed it. He bought it for ONE THOUSAND US DOLLARS. Hell, on the edge website they are still $800.00 for an 05.

You are really shopping in the wrong places then buddy. There no where near that. Think you need a new pair of glasses to see you interweb thingy. Dodge Edge Juice with monitor doesnt sell for over 800. And 7.3l are even cheaper. Thats pretty far from 999.99. I think the goats are blurring your vision. Might wanna leaven them alone. Even if the list shows them selling for 999.99, NO ONE sells for list price. Its just a sales gimick to get you to feel like your getting a deal.

You are really shopping in the wrong places then buddy. There no where near that. Think you need a new pair of glasses to see you interweb thingy. Dodge Edge Juice with monitor doesnt sell for over 800. And 7.3l are even cheaper. Thats pretty far from 999.99. I think the goats are blurring your vision. Might wanna leaven them alone. Even if the list shows them selling for 999.99, NO ONE sells for list price. Its just a sales gimick to get you to feel like your getting a deal.

*bdh*

In regards to the Edge Juice/Attitude combo, here is a real piece of advice that your uncle needs to be aware of. If he wants something for towing, and he's running an automatic trans, be aware that the Edge Juice/Attitude does not incorporate transmission shift controls. The only thing it can do is "defuel" on WOT upshifts. That's it. It will not adjust shift points, and it will not increase line pressure when adding more power. What will happen is shifting will become mushy, and when towing the transmission can actually end up running hotter than it should be, especially in traffic or in hilly areas.

If he is dead set on getting the Edge Juice/Attitude, then he is going to need at least a valve body upgrade so that his trans doesn't shift funny when towing a 5th wheel. Otherwise, he needs to get a different chip or programmer that can allow for transmission adjustments that compliment the added power.

We understand that HE BOUGHT IT. Never doubted it. But just proving a fact that they are NOT 1000 dollars. He got ripped. Im sorry for that. Just proving a fact that your coming on here stating that there 1000 bucks. There not even close for a 7.3l. Hell if he wants i can prolly get him one for 300 bucks. If he wants a edge juice, thats what he wants. It may be enough for him. It may not be. Some people like them. Some dont. Let em find out for himself. I had one. Loved the monitor. But i grew out of it. Grew into a custom chip. Thats what i recommend from experience now. I would never run a off the shelf chip or programmer again. But hey, gotta start somewhere.

And yes, like stated above, they do not do anything with the transmission. Mine used to hit pretty damn hard with just the juice. And wasnt hitting hard in the good way.

Back