A better street tire

JasonCzerak

http://nittotires.com/Tire/Competition/nt555r#tech

So, I emailed the nitto folks to see what it would take to produce a batch of these in a 305/50R20 and target at least a $350/tire price point to see if it catches on with the street trucks.

any anyone found anything that's new to compete with the nitto 420s with out going with a smaller tire?

heh. going back in my email history I seem to have done this exact same thing a year ago! LOL. the response back then was to use the 421q

Here's the response I got today. Maybe more of us should email/call and they'll get the picture.

-----

Dear Jason Czerak,

Thank you for contacting Nitto Tire.

Thank you for the size suggestion. We are looking into releasing more sizes in the future for the NT555R. However, we do not have a set time frame or set list of new sizes to come. We will take your suggestion into consideration for the size expansion.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us back at any time.

Thank you,

Nitto Technical Services Department

Hmmmmm....better street tire with a 20in wheel? Sounds backwards to me. Why don't you step down to 17's as there is a good option there.

Hmmmmm....better street tire with a 20in wheel? Sounds backwards to me. Why don't you step down to 17's as there is a good option there.

For a straight up drag tire, sure, but that requires re-gearing things if you plan to trap near 130 with a 28" or so tire. If I went to a smaller tire I could very well be out of RPM well before the end of the track. they do make a several nice street tires for a 20" wheel but the profile is down in the 25-35 range and that just doesn't look right with a 4x4 and again, it's getting on the small side (under 30"

I'd be a happy camper if I could get a road course like compound tread on a 305/50R20 radial. :) Less groves and more rubber please.

For a straight up drag tire, sure, but that requires re-gearing things if you plan to trap near 130 with a 28" or so tire. If I went to a smaller tire I could very well be out of RPM well before the end of the track. they do make a several nice street tires for a 20" wheel but the profile is down in the 25-35 range and that just doesn't look right with a 4x4 and again, it's getting on the small side (under 30"

I'd be a happy camper if I could get a road course like compound tread on a 305/50R20 radial. :) Less groves and more rubber please.

I am not talking about a "straight up drag tire" I am talking about drag radials, which is what you posted.

I'd love a 30" tall drag radial...I can't fit a wheel smaller than 20" over my rear brakes. Smallest on the front is a 22.

I am not talking about a "straight up drag tire" I am talking about drag radials, which is what you posted.

I'd have to drive it first I suppose. I'm just fearful of to much side wall flex when on the street. So going to smaller wheel and still getting to a 32" over all diameter isn't what i'm looking for.

I'm with you on the limited sizes. A lot of Duramax guys are running smaller tires on 18s but you need to regear to 3.42 which I don't want to do. I can't justify 30x14 slicks but I would definitely buy a 305/50/20 radial since I could put a few miles on the street with them.

You are over thinking it.

Not when you take turning into consideration. Yes, it's a truck it doesn't turn well when compared to a vette. BUT, when out on the street doing stupid things the nitto 420s handles the job a eleventybillion times better then any A/T or E range tire could dream of. That is why I'm after less sidewall.

Has anyone ever slammed on the brakes with a 285/70R17 A/T tire at 130mph? It's not fun! Doing that on the 420s there's no dramma.

Last edited:
Falken ziex stz04. 265/70/17. All season tires that is cheap, comes in a lot of sizes, and I cut a 1.58 60ft with them, pretty good street tire

Falken ziex stz04. 265/70/17. All season tires that is cheap, comes in a lot of sizes, and I cut a 1.58 60ft with them, pretty good street tire

I ran these as well 275/70/16. Multiple 1.70x 60ft times but they didn't hook for **** on the street. Would spin the rears at 60.

Back