A bit different Airdog install

Billysgoat

The ANTI-BLING!
Got a few pics from last week when I finally got around to installing an Airdog on my truck. Took me a bit longer than most as I cannot stand the filters hanging down low enough to knock a gopher out so I went looking. My truck is a short bed, which means it pretty much has to go on the outside of the frame rails, not happy making to me as I tend to drive just where I want to go. Trees are pretty springy, but they can be rough on tie rods and anything hanging down.

2012-10-19154025.jpg

That is tucked up between the rear cab mounts using the plastic spacer piece that came in the kit. Drilled and tapped six 3/8x16 holes in the frame and used some loctite to make sure they didn't go anywhere. Took several hours to make sure I had it so the lines would come in straight enough to seal good and to get the pattern right. The stock plate only has 4 mounting holes, two of which lined up with existing frame holes, so a new pattern was made. Somehow in all of this I got the entire pattern off so that's why the washers to help clear everything.

2012-10-19153840.jpg

And this is why I went through all the trouble, now all that is left is building a shield to keep stuff from hitting the filters!

A few thoughts on this unit, I have never had one on here before, or fooled much with a truck that did. I'm impressed, once I got the pressure set, it stays there. Truck runs MUCH smoother than before, to the point I was worried when I would hit the clutch, thought it was gonna die on me LOL Everything was right, other than the instructions on the in tank part, my canister was different than either listed in the instruction manual so I had to improvise a bit, nothing major and I'm not complaining.

The bad points? I don't like the crimped on ends, to me it would be better to just supply the hose and the ends, but I'm NOT going to follow most instructions anyway so that is likely a moot point. I can definitely see why there are done the way they are. The quick connects work, and work well, but I don't like how the VP connection comes out over the power steering cap, maybe a bit shorter fitting for the VP? Other than that, very good kit, simple wiring and easy install.

Thanks to the folks at Airdog for putting together something I am proud to now have on the truck!

You must have been the only person on here who wasnt running that or a fass LOL

Yea on my Fass I redrilled the bracket to raise it higher.

Why do folks always have to "re-design" everything they buy?....hey pot, I'm kettle, nice to meet ya. :hehe:

Looks good, Billy. :D

Billy likes anal? Hmmmm....

To older airdigs had the fittings and hose with you making everything fit. I liked it better that way.

My name is not Dean, consider that the one warning :poke: LOL

I'll most likely be reworking it with AN fittings on the main feed and suction line when I get time, the splices I had to put in are neither sightly or happy making in my book.

Which route you cannot go with an aftermarket dampner or I would have been as well.

You could install a cam with the 12v lift pump lobe and install the lift pump from a 12v on it. Then you could do it with an aftermarket balancer.

You could install a cam with the 12v lift pump lobe and install the lift pump from a 12v on it. Then you could do it with an aftermarket balancer.

This is true, but if I'm going into it that deep it's getting a P pump too.

You should probably go ahead and do that anyways. It's good preventative maintenance. LOL

The bad points? I don't like the crimped on ends, to me it would be better to just supply the hose and the ends, but I'm NOT going to follow most instructions anyway so that is likely a moot point.

Likewise here. Here's my non-traditional install on my 1st gen. I tucked mine up as high as I could get it and the only hose-ends of theirs I used was the one at the injection pump and the return line to the tank module.

Custom 12mm VE coming soon! - Page 6 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

i mounted my airdog up by the trans, cant even see it from outside the truck haha

You should probably go ahead and do that anyways. It's good preventative maintenance. LOL

I almost did it a few months ago when the VP started acting up, luckily it was still under warranty. I'm trying to buy a piece of property so that was money I didn't need to spend.

I always run OEM. Read way too many issues w/ FASS & Air Dog. I hated the FASS that was on my '04 (was on it when I bought the truck)

Since OEM on these trucks sucks just as bad as anything else, what do I have to loose?

Back