A/C Problems. Need help diagnosing.

CLINT_FX4_TxBoy

New to the Dark Side
My '06 Would occasionally stop blowing cold air. Check the freon and it was good. Then I checked the clutch and I noticed it was not engaging when it would stop blowing cold. My pops suggested the AC compressor may be bad.

How can I diagnose what part needs to be replaced?

My dad has probably went through 8-9 compressors on his 06 and my uncle is currently having problems on his 06. Seems like there would be alot of info on this or possibly a recall situation. We're all hovering around 100k miles.

My 06 will act up like that even after I changed my fan clutch, it will blow warm and then cold and back and forth. Once I get to driving it gets cold and stays cold, and will flat freeze you out. I can park the truck and leave it idle and it will keep blowing ice cold.

It takes a while to get it going after you turn the truck on, when driving slow you can hear the fan roar and get loud for a few seconds then cut of and it will do that for a good while. I was told that you have to get the computer reset after the fan cluth has been changed,

Anybody have any clues?

Yes! Add a electric fan! Power it with a relay thru the fan switch so it comes on when you turn the a/c on. These trucks do not have enough air flow sitting or slow driving to cool the condensor which causes all kinds of issues including compressor failure and warm air!
After my third compressor all is well and working perfect with the fan! The compressor will shut down on a low AND high pressure reading.

you don't need an electric fan if everything is working as it should.

It could be the TIPM

I've got one we can swap in for diag

My 06 will act up like that even after I changed my fan clutch, it will blow warm and then cold and back and forth. Once I get to driving it gets cold and stays cold, and will flat freeze you out. I can park the truck and leave it idle and it will keep blowing ice cold.

It takes a while to get it going after you turn the truck on, when driving slow you can hear the fan roar and get loud for a few seconds then cut of and it will do that for a good while. I was told that you have to get the computer reset after the fan cluth has been changed,

Anybody have any clues?

I had similar issues to this. It was cold an hot cold and hot. When it was cold though it was the coldest ac I have ever felt. Now it won't get cold at all no matter how fast I'm driving.

you don't need an electric fan if everything is working as it should.

It could be the TIPM

I've got one we can swap in for diag

I would be down to try that Forrest. I just want to figure out what is wrong before I blow money on parts I don't need to change.

Shot you a text Forrest. Hopefully you can decipher it. Thought I spell checked it first.

Well swapped out the TIPM with the one from my dads truck with no results so I replaced the compressor with one from oriellys and all is good.

Well I didn't know what the hell the TIPM was before you helped me out. So then it clicked that I could swap his out.

You can check the high and low pressure switches by unplugging them and putting a paper clip in the plugs and seeing if the clutch kicks on...

Back