A little help please

Ddean2985

I have a 93 12valve. With an hx 40 stock 3200rpm gov spring denny2 fuel pin and stock injectors. I bought the truck the way it sits now. I pulled last week with it and actually got a good idea of what I'm putting out. Seems that I'm in need of more fuel. I checked the full load screw and tried to turn it in more but it seems to me the fuel screw is all the way in. I got another quarter turn out of it but it's still not enough. After 18 psi or so it clears right up and doesn't smoke anymore and it won't turn no more than about 2100 rpm with the sled behind it. I'm running street and hot street 2.5 class and plan on running a he351 eventually but what size injectors should I run with this stock ve injection pump and the hx40 or he351. I'm making about 30psi now with a spring gate and I was also wondering how much boost I can run at what rpm on the stock valve train. Really all I have money for atm is injectors to start so if someone can give me some input as to what size injectors I can run with the hx40 and the stock valve train for now and something I can get honed later when I can afford to upgrade the turbo and valve train.

Are you still using the stock lift pump? (They suck) if you are still using the stock banjo bolts you can pull them out and drill every hole out, gained about 200rpm for me.

He351cw is a fast spooling SOB!
Bang for the buck injectors it's hard to beat the POD's from Lucas, they are a little dirty but they make power

Last edited:
Get a "hot screw" from hungry diesel. You need to get it closer to runaway. You might want some 60lbs springs if you rev it hard. I removed the wide open throttle stop. Your gonna like that hot screw.

Are those screws available again? Tried to order like 4 of them and it wasn't happening, and he wasn't sure when they'd be available. I did appreciate dude being honest n not just taking the money

Does the factory screw have a stop on it or something bc it has 6 threads left but it won't go in any further. and the banjo bolts. What size and is it all the lines past the lift pump. I was also told that the factory lift pump was capable of making 500 HP as long as it stayed above 15 psi. What about 370s or the cpp 5 hole 150hp injectors

A simple Holley black run wide open without a regulator will work fine. Or there is a piston pump that people use if they don't want electric.

I just drill the banjo bolts maybe one size up, drill the center of it too or you're not helping yourself

what's the deal with the "hot screw"?? knock the collar off a stock screw and go to town. I had a longer screw from an ag pump and it didn't do anything. the pump still hit runaway in the same spot, just had more threads sticking out of the back of the pump. also I wouldn't waste my money on pod injectors. get chris at ducky fuel injection to make you sticks. tell him what you use the truck for and what you want it to do and he will hook you up. really nice guy. he made me some 5x19's and they were awesome with the 64mm htt on my 89

My truck never hit runaway the screw just hit a stopping point where it won't go any further so is my lift pump bad and just can't keep up or my injectors just not big enough I know a little bit but not enough to tinker without just dumping money and buying an air dog. 60# springs and bigger injectors. I'm not ready to go that route yet but I may have to. Does anyone have anymore imput to this question or any of my others.

Ahhh I see. So I just need to.make sure i have enough fuel pressure. How many rpm and how much boost can I make with stock valvetrain and head bolts

Look up Smokin Ace. That's a stock motor truck that makes a lot of power (I'm omw to cloning his build)

If you do a different lift pump bypass the stock one. It would just become a restriction

you don't need more then 12psi fuel pressure or its gonna push the front seal into the timing case. your not going to hurt anything with a 3k spring either. make sure your valves are adjusted properly and let her eat. I was running a 4k spring on a 12mm pump and my buddy was running a clipped 4k spring on a 13mm pump with no issues. stock head will usually hold 40psi consistently but once you start spiking 45-50 psi they don't tend to like that lol

I do not disagree with you. I ran more then 12 on mine as well but i put red Loctite on my front seal. i just thought i would make him aware of the pressure limitations of the ve.

Back