A little IDI fab...

RacinNdrummin

In-directly Ignored
Chump change to most of you, and I cant say too much without getting into trouble, but here is a bit of IDI fab. The setup is made to be a bolt on to any 83-94 IDI with very little modifications, that's why the manifolds aren't a little more optimal.

The HX35 is just to start off, its modded on the gate, just needs to support 90cc-100cc of fuel, which it should do with no issues, the kit itself has both a T3 and T4 pattern on the pedestal...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
That is a pretty clean setup! Seems like some easy parts to come up with also.

It is, but Im trying to adhere to forum rules...

R&D isn't how I make my living, its just a self sustaining venture to develop the IDI..

This thread was just to show off some fab, various pics of what ive built, I have more to post, just when I get a free minute.

whats the highest HP idi out there? i heard hypermax had one that made good power but that was p-pumped wasn't it?

Good work, however I must complain on the manifold design - is that a bottom outlet? do you have more pics?

whats the highest HP idi out there? i heard hypermax had one that made good power but that was p-pumped wasn't it?

The Hypermax truck circa 1994 is the highest output IDI known, but the problem is there just isn't any solid info on it, a lot of hyperbole, and estimated power numbers based off of 1/4 mile times in a swb F100 that nobody knew what it weighed, and even if you ask hypermax about it, they just make stuff up when you talk to them (Hell it was 20 years ago)... However, it was obviously stout, and we know the P-Pump put out a ton of fuel, so it isn't something that is to be disbelieved... It obviously made some big power.

Other than that, Mine and NMB2's trucks are the highest Ive seen with proven numbers on multiple dynos. I did 342/759 with 160cc of fuel and a slipping clutch (Both peaks at 2100 RPM, previous peaks with the same Turbo and Cam were 2200/2800 respectively, so it should have done close to 400/800), NMB2 put down 365/685 with only 130cc of fuel. The problem with the IDI is getting fuel out of the DB pump is like trying to milk a turnip.

My 8 Cylinder 12mm P7100 is at the injection shop right now getting prepped to go on my 6.9. Im drilling the block for 9/16 studs (I did some tests and was able to pull 250ft/lbs on a 9/16 stud in my spare 6.9 block), O-ringing, New cam, Injector Nozzles, 7.3 Precups and an S475 single. I built the 6.9 last year, Its Decompressed to 18:1, Turbo Rods (Basically the same units at the forged 7.3 stroker stuff), Main Girdle/Studs, coated bearings/Pistons, shimmed 910's, Smith bro's pushrods... Its going to get a bunch of fab to compliment the P7100 and S475... Going to start that as soon as the come comes back from the shop. Shooting for the 600whp range in driver form in my truck.

Good work, however I must complain on the manifold design - is that a bottom outlet? do you have more pics?

Trust me I know... But these are going to be reproduced, and due to the nature of the engine, how I have to run the up-pipes to clear the firewall/assy bosses, as well as the people that have these trucks, this was the most practical way to go about it. Id like to setup and do cast manifolds, but its not quite in the cards yet. That being said, my old custom setup had similar manifolds, and they did the job just fine, they just aren't optimal, that's all.

Im going to do Tubular headers on my engine with the S475, so those should be pretty awesome...

Here is some more stuff... I have a lot more, ill have to look through and see if there is any other good stuff.

Here are a couple of other manifold renditions that I junked...
picture.php

picture.php

Here is some stuff from my engine build....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Heads I ported and was going to use but turned out to be cracked...
picture.php

Previous CAI/IC kit...
picture.php

Old Turbo setup...
picture.php

picture.php

Trust me I know... But these are going to be reproduced, and due to the nature of the engine, how I have to run the up-pipes to clear the firewall/assy bosses, as well as the people that have these trucks, this was the most practical way to go about it. Id like to setup and do cast manifolds, but its not quite in the cards yet. That being said, my old custom setup had similar manifolds, and they did the job just fine, they just aren't optimal, that's all.

Im going to do Tubular headers on my engine with the S475, so those should be pretty awesome...

I like the end-exit manifolds in the pic above; regardless its nice to see someone doing something different.

I like the end-exit manifolds in the pic above; regardless its nice to see someone doing something different.

I agree, and That was how NMB2's kit was, but he had to move his engine and trans forward 2" and beat the hell out of the firewall to fit the up-pipes, it was a big pain in the ass. Dropping the outlet lower is the only way to get the pipes under the bosses and clear the firewall... Im going to go out on a limb and say this is the reason the IDI never had a kit like this in the aftermarket, just too much screwing around for what it was worth.

Nice work! I used to have 8 IDI's in various stages of parts engines and I put a 671 on one. I was going to put it in a T roadster with zoomies. I ended up selling it to a guy down south before I finished it because he wanted it worse than me. :) My IDI collection went away after I couldn't even sell the parts. I used to have a 7.3 with a 6.9 IP that a pump shop got to spin 5400 that I used to pull with. I beat it for 2 years with a powerstroke turbo on and then sold the truck. That was years ago. It's nice to see someone still playing with them. Good luck with it!

Back