A1 studs

BC847

I'm in the glacial-slow process of building a new 12v. While waiting for back-ordered stuff, machine-shop processes to occur, etc, I got to wondering:

Would it perhaps be wise to, as a Predictive-Maintenance thing, replace the studs I currently run?

They are of the A1 brand as purchased from Vann Haisley 12ish years ago. They've perhaps 6 or so installs/torques on them. I've no apparent reason to think something's up with them.

Can y'all suggest any thing I might do to check them? Is there an industry accepted rule-of-thumb?

Thanks guys. :ft:

BTW: I know A1 has gotten out of the performance automotive side of the fastener industry. ;)

I don’t see a issue . I personally used several sets of a1 original studs with no issues

You should be good if you've only gone to manufacturer's specs, or even been consistent on install method and torque.

You have elastic and plastic deformation. Elastic bounces back 100%, and plastic comes back along the same curve to yield.
Most fasteners are spec'd to under yield, or at most yield. If they're more than yield it's very process driven and has a torque plus rotation.

At most I'd guess you've hit yield and not ultimate. If you can install them to torque, you should be good.

450px-Stress_Strain_Ductile_Material.png

Back