Additional Oil Cooling

dieselpolaris

Anybody out there running an additional oil cooler on there dedicated puller? I have a pacbrake remote mount filter setup laying around and was wondering if i could just run a derale oil cooler inline with that without hurting flow and starving engine for oil at high rpms. It has -8an fittings on it so i wouldnt think it wouldnt cause any restriction. Thinking it would certainly help lower temps alot on oil. Any suggestions? Thanks

Why do you think you need more oil cooling? If its a dedicated puller then the oil temp may get hot but its only for a short period of time and there wont be much airflow across the new cooler anyway. I feel like the only way another cooler would work is if its a liquid heat exchanger and the heat is being pulled out by another system like the cooling system or if you were to use water from a water to air setup.

Anytime you add another component to an oil system, it could become a potential problem down the road. Not saying it would but the chance is there. Also, I've been told that every 90* bend you put in an oil system it drops the flow by 5%.

Cooler would have a fan on it. I was thinking a person would see 30-40 degree temp drop across the cooler. Yes a pull is a short time but the whole engine gets pretty heat soaked so just another way to get the heat back out. Just looking for opinions...

Unless the block is filled you really don't need a oil cooler. I personally wouldn't run a inline cooler period. I was going to build one and still may this winter where after my run I could suck hot oil out of the pan cool it an then return it to the pan with the engine off. Just using a electric pump and trans cooler with a small fan. I run a oil temp gauge and the oil doesn't normally get above 180-200 on a single pass. After a run in a pull off its around 210-230. So with only seeing temps around there I haven't needed a cooler. That 50w oil. We ran circle track engines a lot higher then those temps with no issues so I'm not really as concerned with it any more. JMO

I think all this comes down to what you are seeing for oil temps after your run. Are you running a filled block? What type of track and sled are you running on, Whats the length (seconds) of your runs?. I know up here we have a mix of clay and sand/ stone dust tracks, so our run times vary by up to 15 seconds. I run a 50W as well with bigger bottom end clearance so I really do not like temps over the 150 mark. Usually I can get two back to back (say test hook and re run) before temps are over 180 at the end of the second pass, put there's no pull off for me if this happens. I have ran an external cooler (it was a huge SS coolant to oil unit off of a motor home) with two filters (one before and after) plumbed right into the engines oiling system. I found however that even though the cooler had very little restriction the extra filtering created by pass issues. I have since went to a complete stand alone system with its own pick up in the pan, pump, cooler and return to pan and run it between runs.

If your running synthetic oil it is not going to be breaking down until 300ish degrees.. Of course cooler oil is better but 200* isnt going to hurt the oil

Dont have a filled block and never have checked oil temp. Just assumed it was probably right around water temp which is usually around 210-220 degrees after a pass.

Back