Advice for advanced timing??

PRattenbury

Neophyte
Hi, all. I have my engine pulled down to replace the cam and head. I know the p-pump I'll be using will be set for 24 degrees timing. Going back together, is there any tricks I should be using to let me run the best, and safest? Should I be considering any bottom-end goodies if my goal is 700-800 horses for street use? Like rod bolts, main studs, girdle and the like? I definitely would if I was going to be pulling or putting it on the track, but for the street could I get away with running it the way Cummins made it? :thankyou2:

I talked with Scheid, since I just bought one of their cams. They recommended stock pistons, since others tend to have bigger bowls, meaning even less compression. Thanks.

PRattenbury said:
I talked with Scheid, since I just bought one of their cams. They recommended stock pistons, since others tend to have bigger bowls, meaning even less compression. Thanks.

Hmm.. I am still torn on my piston decision, and though I deal with Scheids regularly, I haven't talked to them about my motor yet.

For 7-800HP, I wouldn't consider anything over stock. These things are built like bricks & the hype just isn't worth it.

brandon.

That's what I hear. So I'm building the bottom pretty much stock. Stock pistons, rods, all that. Just using ARP fasteners and putting it back together (balanced, of course).

is there a way to find the best timing at all rpms? like what works the best at low, medium, and high rpms?

diesel junkie02 said:
is there a way to find the best timing at all rpms? like what works the best at low, medium, and high rpms?
Lots of dyno time.

brandon.

it would be sooo awesome if someone would invent a pump gear or something that would retard and advance the timing of the p-pump.

This gear would (at idle) be at say 8* timing for spoolup purposes and increase timing somehow to say 25* @ 4k rpms.

lol......... hey a person can dream cant he??

Lance

oldsmokey97 said:
it would be sooo awesome if someone would invent a pump gear or something that would retard and advance the timing of the p-pump.

This gear would (at idle) be at say 8* timing for spoolup purposes and increase timing somehow to say 25* @ 4k rpms.

lol......... hey a person can dream cant he??

Lance
They call them 'Common Rails". :doh:

brandon.

yah i know but we need this option for the p-pump!!

with the amount of fuel that a p-pump can push.......... this would come in handy.

Lance

ZEXEL inline fuelpump can advance and retard timing :kick:

I ordered a adjustable billet cam gear from Kenny's Machine.... Just waiting for the UPS man now.

Back