advice needed

stroked diesel

Coach Peacock
4 years ago I started a build for 800 on fuel,
kept the stock bottom end and just did some minor porting on the exhaust side of the head to match the exhaust manifold with 110 valve springs and billet pushrods. Currently ive done 767 at TSD, did highest hp @24* we tried from 24-27. TSD says I need more air. Here is a list of mods I have done:
Manning Motorsports billet 475/87.91
steed speed T-4
AFE intercooler and intake Manifold
II lightning 3's (~6x.016) worked over by Weston
Maxed Balanced 215 pump by Seth, 600cc @40psi
Hamilton 181/210
5gsk, 035dv, stock holders, .093 lines and tubes
A1000 custom fuel system

Here is where I sit, being so close, yet so far away from my goal im needing help. Im thinking my stock head is keeping me from my goal. I have been told several different options from different shops that are conflicting so im here for advice. Here is what ive been told regarding the head:
1.Switch to a commonrail head due to better flow.
2. Spray it but that defeats the fuel only goal
3. Porting and polishing a 24v head is pointless unless your cutting off the shelf and installing a side draft intake
4. Ditch the 75 and go to a twin setup, I have a billet 66/74 in the shop so I could go 66 over 83 if it was necessary but its expensive.
5. Porting and polishing will make it spool slower and will make less power

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Im not unhappy with my # but I know of several on here through my searching who have gone over 800 with less turbo and less fuel.
Thanks again guys and sorry for the long post
Kyle

If you're only going for 800, stock head is fine. At least for a 12v, not sure about 24v heads. I think they are even better though.

If you go twins, 66 over 83 is wayyyy overkill for 800hp. 63 over 78 has done close to 1000 on fuel, if not higher, on a 12 valve.

Just my opinion: I'd go back to stock lines, some 5x.016's or .018s as I don't know much about 6 holes or II for that matter, and small-medium set of . I think the 75 is whats compounds, holding you back. I'll bet you're a smokey hot mess with that 75 and those injectors, or have a lot of time into the AFC?

EDIT: What rpm were you going to? That could explain why you made less power with higher timing.

Last edited:
My AFC was all set up by Seth, 150cc @ 0psi and 600cc @ 40psi.
The dyno run was stopped around 3700-4000 on each run.
800 was the starting goal but I caught the bug a while back so I want to see as much as possible with a stock bottom end. Eventually I want to do a full engine build but I got a lot of learning to do before then.
I wanted to use a 66 manifold charger in a twin setup of I had to simply cause I have a new ED billet 66 sitting in the shop that I ran for about 100 miles before I went the 75

id say run a 63/80 tune the afc back and run 7x12s with lift you have to much fuel at the wrong time. that 75 should move plenty of air for 800hp 700 has been done with a 67. remember lean is mean.

id say run a 63/80 tune the afc back and run 7x12s with lift you have to much fuel at the wrong time. that 75 should move plenty of air for 800hp 700 has been done with a 67. remember lean is mean.

Lean doesn't matter so much with diesel.

67 flows as much as a 75. 900+ has been done on a 67 (on a cr), I'm not sure how much on a ppump 12/24 valve though. A 75 is being pushed pretty hard to do 800 on a ppump without a heft amount of timing, or head work.

63/78 is still my ideal setup on a ppump motor.

Last edited:
75 flows quite a bit more then a 67 and I was talking about a 67 on a p pump making 700 I know they make a lot more on Cr but so does a single 75 they have made 1000 plus with them. And lean matters just as much on a diesel if you have a lot more fuel then you are able to burn you are putting the fire out.

i sold the 75 and now just have my ED 66 and would rather make a twin setup with that and not have to buy another one or try and trade for smaller, however i have a guy selling a holset that measures 88mm for a good price so may try and piece those that together if i think i can make it work.
Il have to send them both out to be gone through just to make sure everything is good before i bolt them on, and start looking for piping. real busy during football season but mid November it will slow down and i can get going strong again

Last edited:
66/88 would be a chit ton of air lol. It would definitely be more then enough to well exceed your goal. You would just have to work with your fuel, afc, etc and get it to run like you would like.

well my junk yard turbo showed up, its def holset, but not exactly sure which one. Manning says he thinks it might be an early h4t but wouldnt be sure until he dug into it. wheels are tight and its in surprisingly good shape for what i gave for it. Any turbo and or holset guru's have any idea what i have here. still working on getting the compressor cover off to get an exact measurement on the wheels, its been on there a while. PO said it was an 88mm Holset that sat on his shelf for over a decade. il post up some pics if anyone can chime in

here it is next to my ED 66
BBD4725D-7539-41C5-8E9E-C608443340F7_zpstp72kcks.jpg

127C6422-5143-4C17-9916-E760B9E8720F_zps6hx20yp3.jpg

exhaust housing is 26cm, divided and has this stamped on it:

thanks guys

Back