Aftermarket fuel pumps

Supershafts

We race, so You win
Installed a Airdog 100 on a customers truck.... (04 cummins)

All it (the AD-100) seems to want to do is return fuel to the tank....

Tried blocking the return hose, that made a little more pressure to the cp pump, but very very sporadically. . .

So after back and fourth with AD for a week plus, send me another, prime, prime, prime, (starting to seem like the other one) prime, starts...... 90 seconds later. i hear the motor do that airated stumble twice and then die... (the cursing and swearing begins, along with a long not entirely civil ph message to AD)

Again no more fuel coming up to the cp pump, and the AD is acting like a valve and not flowing thru...

So, my question, should i just go back to using a mallory pump rather then these neat little pumps packaged with filters?

Or is this a common a issue with only the AD 100's

Or does no one bother with these AD style pumps and just use a mallory or some other style ?

Last edited:
The ad inst never said to remove it, although i did have the sending unit out, after reading the inst there was nothing in there saying to remove it, just remove the old line from the sending unit and plug there line in, the larger AD's use there own line, this one i have no idea wth is going on

well the only weird part is this, it pumps fuel back to the tank thru the return side of the pump, the motors return is working so the slosh can shouldn't be dry, and with this 2nd pump i did have it run a few times more than the 1st pump, but never longer than a minute and half, then it's back to empty.

The stranger part is in the event the pump isn't working it's supposed to draw thru, but 5 times it died yesterday when what ever is causing the pump to slow or quit pumping

I have a friend saying to put a few holes in the bottom of slosh can on the sending unit

It can't be that either, the 1st pump did the same thing when i was using it directly from a bucket. . .

Make sure the inlet screen is clean, not sure about the airdog but the raptor is behind the inlet fitting. Also how do you have it wired?

Sounds like you're not a certified AirDog Installer.

If you were certified, you probably wouldn't have a problem installing that particular brand of lift pump..

Sounds like someone needs to download a new version of AD instructions

posted with CompD mobile

Sounds like you're not a certified AirDog Installer.

If you were certified, you probably wouldn't have a problem installing that particular brand of lift pump..

Lets see, engine line to cp pump, tank to inlet on pump, return to tank.... plug to the pcm, relay, and then to the pump...

This isn't a pump and design the system yourself, it's all plug and play. .
When i do the fuel system myself without simple plug and play pumps i have no problem.
This pump works sporadically, or you don't understand what im saying.

ARbowhunter7 said:
AD says don't do that, as it allows the big sediment to get sucked up. ]

It wouldn't matter, i had used a bucket with fuel to see what the pump was doing, and the end of there hose, so there is no slosh can and it still did the same thing, just wants to return fuel, and when it started it still stopped the cp pump from drawing fuel, even with the open bucket.

Sounds like someone needs to download a new version of AD instructions

posted with CompD mobile

Followed there instructions, it's just a gerotor pump with a return, and supposed to be a non-obstructed flow thru body in the event the pump should FAIL while driving, which it doesn't do that either and die in less than 2 minutes, and have a empty supply line and filter..

Send it back, sounds like it's defective if I doesn't work right when you put in the feed line in a bucket full of fuel and it still doesn't work right.

Thats the peculiar part, even in the bucket the cp pump can not draw thru the ad pump when whatever goes wrong happens.

If i take a small 2 gal fuel can, drop the hose in from the cp pump, dump fuel in and get it started it runs, it's like the ad is a valve.

Im thinking just use a holley black or the inline holley and be done with this

. Just wondering if it took 2 weeks of nonsense to get a pump how long it'll take to get refunded.

Last edited:
Have you tried to put all three hoses into the bucket, have you checked to see if the AD still has 12 volts to it when it dies?

The pump doesn't die as in power, it stops/dies pushing fuel, the 5.9 motor dies.

It the AD still has power, still running and pushing fuel back thru the return side.

Thing is that even though it pushes fuel to the return, the cp is starved and the 5.9 motor dies, not the AD, that AD motor is running, and it stops the cp from drawing thru also, which is very strange since it's supposed to not do that.

Are you sure that you don't have the engine feed and return to tank lines crossed? If the lines are crossed it won't allow it to build pressure since it's free flowing to the tank. The only other way that it would free flow to the return line is the return check ball being stuck, or having no spring in there...which is hard to believe on two brand new pumps. The CP3 will not be able to draw through the check ball and spring either.

AD swears that there pump is a draw thru design, and i have told them it isn't, they said impossible.

Not the return is the right hose and the feed is the right hose.

Im just gonna use a inline aftermarket pump and bypass regulator and that's it, this making life easier AD plug and play instal is more work than making a entire fuel system.

They both had springs and balls, both are doing almost the same exact thing, 1 primes quicker and has more pressure, the other doesn't have as much pressure and takes forever to prime.

How would you explain when the pump does send fuel to the cp, and then the motor runs the cp sucks it ALL dry. . It has done that with the 2nd pump, 4 times more than with the 1st pump

Back