Air bagged trailer

crabbelle

Banned
so after reading endless info about air bagging and getting close to finishing my truck i was considering building an airbagged car trailer. running
6K lb plus dual axles with 8" step notches, bag's over the axles, the thing that gets me how to set up the channel & floor. i was considering just making my own tubing using 1/4 plate steel 8" wide so basiclly the floor would sit on top of the notches and from the side you see 8" of channel. the bags would have to have alot of travel. any more ideas

forgot to mention a 4 link setup on each axle. but the more i think about it the more i confuse my self.

Just get torque flex axles, if something ever gets thrown into the lines or bags your gonna be screwed. And the torque flex axles ride great when loaded.

no need to 4 link or put the bags on top of the axles, just do like a 53' moving trailer and do trailing arms that pass under the axle and the bags bolt to the ends.

i was going to try and have lay out with my truck. but that's what everybody else is saying about if the bags go out im screwed but then i would also be screwed with my truck as well. lol this would be a gooseneck trailer

SAM_2822.jpg

SAM_2821.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you want air bags? The only reason i would set a trailer up like that is to have a dump valve on it to get the deck closer to the ground. Which you would have to have an air source to air it back up.

forgot to mention a 4 link setup on each axle. but the more i think about it the more i confuse my self.
You don't need 4-link, just do trailing beam like semi's. Some square tubing, U-Bolts and whatever size air bags you need. You can mount the axle above or below the beam. You can lift them if you want. All controlled with a $50 leveling valve, a $30 air tank and a 12v compressor mounted on the trailer.

Look at these pictures and you'll see just how easy it is to make.

Just get torque flex axles, if something ever gets thrown into the lines or bags your gonna be screwed. And the torque flex axles ride great when loaded.
How would an air ride goose neck be any different than the tens of millions of air ride semi trailers? People tend to over think stuff when it's for a pickup. Just duplicate a proven system and miniaturize it, we're not talking huge weights here it is only a pickup truck.

Why do you want air bags? The only reason i would set a trailer up like that is to have a dump valve on it to get the deck closer to the ground. Which you would have to have an air source to air it back up.

i would use my tanks off the truck to air in back up

i wanna do something like this when i build my trailer coming up... but i would be towing a my buick and my brothers lowered mitsu... so a trailer with semi bags and the ability to lower it makes it ideal for loading and unloading.
keep us up on the build

my plan is to get rid of the dual axles and go with a 10K dexter, run a 2 link and get bag under the axle mounts. its basiclly the same as the semi's just im not running a trail arm. i can mount the shocks to the link bars.

I have used a couple bagged trailers, one was on a boat trailer. The best thing about that was being able to lift the one inside wheel on a tandem setup, for when your doing really tight maneuvering in a parking lot.

The other one was on a car hauler for a show car, and we would dump the back and fully inflate the front, then put jacks in the front to support, made for really nice loading angles.

Bonus was they both rode great. Both had air switch's to isolate or combine multiple bags.

Back