air silencer on a duramax

Duramax66

Any 1 remove their air silencer on a duramax and if so other than b n louder notice anything else ?

The difference is minimal. I know a few guys who have removed the silencer, noise didn't even go up that much. $.02

I accedently removed it on my dads taking out the airbox then leaving it on the tire as I backed up the truck. :bang
I noticed absolutely no difference.

I used a plumbers test plug to plug mine so I could keep the cover. I agree you can't really tell a difference in the sound. I did it more or less because the can silencer crack and let in unfiltered air.

i am new to this site but i was wondering about the air silencer. i have never heard about it, and you guys are saying that there isnt much a difference when takin out but is there any. and what and where is it?

It is the black pastic piece on the top of the motor...says 6.6L turbo diesel.

I removed mine after inspecting it for cracks and found one along the seam...in theory, unfitered air can get into the engine through it.

I used one of the 2" expandable pipe plugs (kind you tighten with a wing nut) and drilled a hole through the bolt and ran a cotter key through it. This way if it would come loose the bolt cannot fall into the intake and be mulched by the charger.

I noticed very little difference, turbo whistle is slightly louder but probably not noticable to the untrained ear.

Back