All-Purpose 2.5 Build 1998 QCLB 2500 Auto

USARMY12V

Rally round the Virginian
Well, time to start a thread for the old girl. She has kind of been on the back burner since I got my 4th Gen Mega and getting it to where I feel is comfortable enough to last a good while.

Currently the truck is down, I had the head off last summer to get port and polished. While disassembling I broke two exhaust bolts off, had the machine shop "drill and tap" them, well they forgot the tap part so long story short two ears ended up blowing out when new bolts were put in. Hasn't ran since because I've waited to get a Steed Speed which requires studs to be welded in for my case. However, since I haven't done this yet. I've contemplated rebuilding the engine completely however I am not sure of the true value of this just yet due to my desired goals for this build.

Being a 2500, it has a D70 rear with 3.55 LS. My concept is to use this in conjunction with the factory front D60 to drag race and have a separate set of axles for sled pulling. I realize this is probably a lot of work the average person would not care to do, they'd rather swap R&P but I do not care to do this every time so I will swap axles.

Currently my biggest questions are what configuration Steed I need, will an angled one leave my S464 hitting the shock tower? I do not want to hack my shock tower up. Also, is a 13mm pump cost beneficial to the 2.5 truck? I currently am running stock internals which leads back to my question if I should rebuild. I know the rpm warranted to turn that much fuel and air requires a cam and thus fly cuts. However, due to lack of charger, again, is cost benefit there?

Going to a 13mm pump was the best thing I've done yet. It spools a big single easier and actually runs less smoke than a maxed 12mm. Just cut the plate back for the smaller turbo.

Well, the longer and harder I think about it, the smarter/better off I think it would be to rebuild it. Realistically, to shine, I need higher RPM efficiency and thus a cam, thus fly cuts. I think I have decided to yank the old girl out. While I'm at it I will reseal the entire thing as I have a complete gasket set. I'm also thinking of sending the P7100 off to Seth or maybe Lee. I got some Hamilton springs for cheap, made me realize it's stupid to have all the parts to turn RPM but not be efficient there haha.

I'm thinking balanced stock bottom end with main studs and ARP bolts. For pistons I haven't decided on essentially cut Mahle's or if I should just go Arias/Ross as there's a huge price difference obviously.

You'll wish you had built two separate trucks after swapping axles a couple times, just to go to the drag strip.

Truck would be kept with ratios for pulling throughout the most part of the summer when there are lots of events to actually use it in. Then 3.55's for the late fall to early spring. Truck is obviously being built to spec more for pulling.

Last edited:
Truck would be kept with ratios for pulling throughout the most part of the summer when there are lots of events to actually use it in. Then 3.55's for the late fall to early spring. Truck is obviously being built to spec more for pulling.

I was thinking the same about my 2nd gen.

Thinking the track is easier to not have massive breakage and I can still take it out and Beat Hondas all day with minimal ease, just for fun factor, less cost involved and work as well..

I would say if you ever intend on driving it on the street, stay away from the pulling, if you have to pull, maybe a second truck would be a kewl idea .. $.02

My street driving, I mean very random times to drive. My fourth gen is my daily driver.

Anyways, starting to get parts together. I just got some Hamilton Springs and I also got some bling for the inside, 14:1 Arias pistons. This is as low of compression I felt okay with going. For the engine build, I will obviously be using said pistons with standard bore. I will be having an essentially stock lower bottom end. I'll use ARP rod bolts and mains. Just balancing the bottom, no sense in spending $2k on forged rods for my small of build. Will also be deciding on a cam in the foreseeable future, also need new pushrods and tappets.

While I have a port and polished head, I am also going to just revalve the thing. Might as well get the most I can while I have it apart. 13mm pump will probably be the last thing to happen in terms of mods in front of the firewall.

Make sure your block is line honed and clearenced with the Studs in the lower end .. the increased clamping ability of studs will make the bottom end too tight VS with bolts .. just FYI , not sure if you knew that or not .. I had no idea untill recently

Arias pistons would be the very last thing on my list, but to each his own.

I would completely agree with you, but for a build that's going to be taking awhile and parts collected over time it is what it is. If a good deal is found, I will explore it. Certain deals come around more often than others, so things will be collected at different times. I'm in no real rush. There are some nicks in the tops of my current slugs from burning something, did I need them? No, certainly not. But this is the diesel world, we don't need half the crap we put on/in our trucks haha.

Being from the middle of no where VA, there's no real pulling organizations here that I have to rush to feel a part of. This build will probably take a year or so to actually be of substance. I work a lot and have your typical truck payment, rent, student loans, this build is my every once in awhile something to do so to say. Some things may be done bass ackwards, but they'll get done as I either find a deal or have the need for something.

Being from the middle of no where VA, there's no real pulling organizations here that I have to rush to feel a part of. This build will probably take a year or so to actually be of substance. I work a lot and have your typical truck payment, rent, student loans, this build is my every once in awhile something to do so to say. Some things may be done bass ackwards, but they'll get done as I either find a deal or have the need for something.

I hear ya there ... been trying to 1/4 mile build my DD... just ripped my R shoulder up ... guess thats gonna wait now !!! :umno:

Well, Steed should be in the mail (hopefully) so things are moving forward again. However, what size studs do I need to mount this thing? M10 1.5 x 35mm? I have an angled T4 gated Steed so I can spray on the strip hopefully. I am contemplating selling my true bore 2.5 charger for a cream of the crop 2.5 radiused wheel turbo. Might as well do something right once as opposed to doing it multiple times...

Some other things I am going to do while doing this is new intercooler boots. Not going to get a wastegate for a little, gonna get the kinks worked on out on fuel only to begin with. Starting to get back in the game feels nice. Long, long road ahead but still feels nice to be back wrenching some again.

Back