Allison 3000 in F550

megastang

has anyone have any experience or info on putting an allison 3000 series transmission in a F550 with a 7.3 or a cummins? The double overdrive would be nice for empty cruising and it sounds like there are some that also have a creeper gear too.

Exactly that. You will need a different flywheel housing on the engine. Not to mention because it's going to be computer controlled it's going to be a wiring and electrical nightmare. If I remember right also the tcm's are different than all the other Allison's

3k and 4k series do use a different wtec ecu than the 1k,2k tcm in 3rd gen. All 4th gen Allison products use the same type of TCM most superseded to an a53 for commercial and a41 for gm pickups.

i'm not so worried about the wiring and electrical part as much as the fit. I know i would need a sae2 housing, and if i decided i wanted 4wd i would probably have to get pretty fancy or go with a divorced transfer case. also after some more research the 7 speed models overdrive ratio is way lower so that's probably out. If i understang correctly the early models just need a tps signal from the engine? We will see if it ever happens just wondering if anyone else has been crazy enough to try

Sure it could be done, but why? Have you looked at a 3000 series trans in person? There friggen HUGE! Set one next to a 1000, and it dwarfs them. And if I'm not mistaken, they weigh in close to 1K pounds with a converter if you have the retarder on it.

Back