alternate alternator locations

j-rod

Up to no good
Jeff -

Do you have any idea if the alternator on a 5.9 (non-Dodge application) was in a different location in the front other than top left?

Low priority question...just wondering if you knew off the top of your head.

Thanks.

Most of the ones I've seen that mount lower sit on the water inlet. I'll dig around a little. I understand you want to move it down, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wondering the same thing but for a 12v.
I don't see the picture. Just the blue box.

Most of the ones I've seen that mount lower sit on the water inlet. I'll dig around a little. I understand you want to move it down, correct?

Yes I want to move it down.

I thought I replied earlier, but apparently I did not.

I poked around a bit more today and found this beautiful piece of engineering:

IMG_0390.jpg

Not quite what I'm looking for. LOL

j-rod, dont people usually use the frieghtliner mount when they want to do this?

Jarod, I found a low mount alternator used on the marine engines. They use a different coolant inlet for the lower alt mount and an upper bracket that swings down. The problem is that the coolant inlet swings towards the rear of the engine. Unless someone knows of a differnet application w/ a low mount alt., I think the fabrication route would be best.

Last edited:
you could just take a hacksaw to that lower marine inlet piece.....the coolant plumbing would be an easier fab than the alt bracket

hey j, what have you done with your oil filter location? in that pic even the filter head is gone

Jarod, I found a low mount alternator used on the marine engines. They use a different coolant inlet for the lower alt mount and an upper bracket that swings down. The problem is that the coolant inlet swings towards the rear of the engine. Unless someone knows of a differnet application w/ a low mount alt., I think the fabrication route would be best.

Edit: Just saw that it actually mounts to part of the cooling system. Looks like custom is going to be the only route.

you could just take a hacksaw to that lower marine inlet piece.....the coolant plumbing would be an easier fab than the alt bracket

hey j, what have you done with your oil filter location? in that pic even the filter head is gone

I haven't got to that point yet, but I can relocate it.

Last edited:
Back