Alternative to hood hinge springs

jimbo486

The thought of using nitrogen-charged struts has been bouncing around my head for some time now. I'd love to make it possible to use struts on my '90 since the springs are no longer very effective. I have a used pair of struts from my dad's 3rd gen and I'm itching to make it happen. Especially now, while my engine is out for a rebuild, and there's all kinds of room for activities in there. At this point, all I'd need are 4 of the ball-end studs for the struts to clip to.

However, what needs to be determined is positioning using a little bit of geometry, I guess. Obviously, with the hood fully open, the struts shouldn't be at full extension. Or can they? I suppose it wouldn't hurt them if they are. And vice versa, when the hood is closed, they would need to be positioned just right so that they don't reach their collapsed length and bottom out.

Does anybody have any info they can provide for something like this? Do they need to be oriented within a specific range in regards to their angle in order to overcome the weight of the hood? I've searched for some calculators and found some companies that walk you through the steps to some degree.

I've never heard of the Armstrong mod. Can you elaborate or provide links?

Back