Alternator where AC used to be

Does it keep up with your electrical equipment or do you have to throw a charge on the batteries often?

Even with the factory alternator, my puller gets a trickle charge every week when I unload it and pull it in the garage.

There are a lot of guys that run with no alternator and just trickle charge during the week. You would be OK running a little smaller alternator and charge it during the week just for piece of mind.

You figure a puller is only run for short periods of time anyway.. that doesn't leave much charge time even with a factory alternator.

from phone

Mine does fine. We put a tester on it and it does charge but I also throw a charger on it before pulls just bc its a quick and easy way to be sure.

Mine does fine. We put a tester on it and it does charge but I also throw a charger on it before pulls just bc its a quick and easy way to be sure.

I know some single wire alternators don't charge much at idle. What voltage do you see at idle?

from phone

Last edited:
Mine doesn't at dead idle but at 900rpm it's over 12v. 14 iirc. So I just rest my foot on the pedal whille im warming it up at it charges good then.

Mine doesn't at dead idle but at 900rpm it's over 12v. 14 iirc. So I just rest my foot on the pedal whille im warming it up at it charges good then.

Probably a catch 22 for ya the larger pulley doesn't help I am guessing.

I would be curious if the high RPM is really a concern. Of course we are spinning them at 2 times the rated speed. I have the factory one on mine and it has seen 5000 rpm numerous times, with no issues.

Last edited:
Yeah the pulley is probably why I have to give it some r's to charge. Mine see's 6000 rpm so we thought it wasn't a bad idea to try to keep the speed down. It probably wouldn't matter but that's what we decided to do.

Last edited:
Think of alternators on gas jobs turning way more than these engines. I don't think the rpms would bother.

from phone

Think of alternators on gas jobs turning way more than these engines. I don't think the rpms would bother.

from phone

On gas engines the alternator is usually not overdriven quite as much as on diesel stuff

On gas engines the alternator is usually not overdriven quite as much as on diesel stuff

I am mainly referring to a 1 wire gas alternator on a diesel and mounting it down by the frame. They spin 6-7k on a gas job. So I can't see them being over spun on a diesel.

from phone

I am mainly referring to a 1 wire gas alternator on a diesel and mounting it down by the frame. They spin 6-7k on a gas job. So I can't see them being over spun on a diesel.

from phone

The crank pulley on a cummins is quite a bit larger than a typical gas engine which would spin the alternator faster at the same engine rpm. I don't think the extra rpm would bother the alternator, it's more a case of minimizing hp loss.

anyone have any part numbers looking at jegs they have one for $89 that has a serp pulley but i dont have the motor back to see if it will fit down there

anyone have any part numbers looking at jegs they have one for $89 that has a serp pulley but i dont have the motor back to see if it will fit down there

Some of those are almost the same size as factory Dodge alternators. They have some mini ones but they are pricey

from phone

Back