Aluminum driveshaft?

kxhonda

I'm goin with a one piece driveshaft and my builder wants me to go with an aluminum driveshaft. I'm really wondering if it will hold up? He wants to use 5.5" OD .120 wall tube with 1480 ujoints front and rear. I was gonna go with 4" OD .093" steel tube with 1480's, but he said it would vibrate too much due too length, 78 1/2" from ujoint to transfercase. Will this aluminum shaft just twist up or what??

The larger the diameter the more the length comes into play.

I didn't run the numbers, but this is what I was told by the guy who makes the driveshafts for many high HP trucks. He said if I was running high speed to go with a 3" two piece shaft, if I was pulling use a 4" one piece. I said I wanted both so went with a 4" two piece.

Honestly I think you will be visiting the scrap guy with some aluminum in the future.

I had a 1 piece driveshaft made up for my duallie and it was dynamically balanced- no issues with vibration

Well wish me luck. Here it is...
DCP_2110.jpg

DCP_2111.jpg

DCP_2112.jpg

Even if I twist it got the whole shaft with the 1480 slip yoke for $275, not bad considering Haisley's charges $250 for just there slip yoke. The guy said he has no clue what that yoke came off of, said he just had it layin around.

The aluminum one actually is way stronger...

Pull open a AISC maniual and compare Z values....

I thought the aluminum 5.5" shafts could only be had with 1485 joints?
Do these use a special thinner clip to accept 1480's?

Not that I know of. They didn't say anything about that.

But it did hold up to two hooks this weekend.

i heard about one guy that broke 'em left and right, and decided to go back to a stock.

but good luck.

Back