Aluminum ramp length for puller

dodgemaniac

I currently have a 20ft trailer with a flat deck. looking into aluminum ramps from discountramps.com so I can load my truck onto it.

I would like feedback from anyone that has done this on how well it does or does not work.

I would also like feedback as to how long of a ramp I need? would 8ft be enough? or is a 10,12,0r 14ft needed? truck is a 97 3500 extended cab longbed.

A few things to consider. The height of the trailer and whether you have a weight box or not and how low it hangs down. I would recommend a minimum of 10' though.

I did this for 2 years before buying a new trailer with a dove and I absolutely hated it. Its a pain to load and unload, you have to carry heavy ramps around, and once the truck is loaded you have strap the ramps down under the truck unless you make a nice spot for them under the trailer. Buying a trailer with a dove was the best thing I did

would also like to hear everyone's thoughts on length also. I have a 20' trailer with 5' fold over ramps on a dovetail. The truck has to be pulled all the way up to the front of the trailer, then ramps folded over and truck moved back so I get a smooth ride. Want to remove the ramps and put on a set of alum. Also looking at ramps from where the op is and was thinking about 14' to carry 10k or more. I have to use boards now since the box is so low and it hits about 5-6 of the angle bars on the dove now if I don't use the boards.

Somewhere between 2-3" of rise for every foot of forward travel. So for a 35" deck height 12-18' ramps. Also remember DiscountRamps rates their ramps per axle weight. 5k ramps from them will easily support a diesel pickup.

I've got to put a few blocks, 6” tall, under the end of my ramps to get the traction bars to clear with my truck. Deck height is 35" with 93" long ramps and the bars only have 10" of clearance under them. If I had 9' ramps I'd clear I think.

would also like to hear everyone's thoughts on length also. I have a 20' trailer with 5' fold over ramps on a dovetail. The truck has to be pulled all the way up to the front of the trailer, then ramps folded over and truck moved back so I get a smooth ride. Want to remove the ramps and put on a set of alum. Also looking at ramps from where the op is and was thinking about 14' to carry 10k or more. I have to use boards now since the box is so low and it hits about 5-6 of the angle bars on the dove now if I don't use the boards.

I had a 20+5 and had the ramps that slid underneath the trailer. I really liked it. Ramps weren't that heavy. The dove would pop up so I could have a 25 foot flat.

Back