Am I about to do something stupid??

Extended Power

Got a wild hair up my ass, and I was thinking of cuttin a hole through the front bumper for the turbo to get fresh, cool air, instead of air from behind the bumper/in front of the front tire.

Do ya think its worth it?

Won't be a round hole...it would follow the lines of the bumper itself.

If you look at my avatar, you can see how the tan trim on the bottom of the bumper curves down...I was thinking of following those lines...only on the passenger side.

Last edited:
I'd vote no. With the huge area of the grill and fan swirling **** around I don't think underhood temps are as high as people think.

I'd vote no. With the huge area of the grill and fan swirling **** around I don't think underhood temps are as high as people think.

The filter is tucked in beside/under the rad...it's pulling air from right behind the bumper....but the bumper is blocking the airflow.

I'm also wondering if the air turbulence in front of the front tire is creating a lower pressure....basically choking/starving the turbo of air.

I wouldn't cut up a clean original bumper, personally...

I'd get another one if only to prove the theorem before hacking up the OG unit

I wouldn't cut up a clean original bumper, personally...

I'd get another one if only to prove the theorem before hacking up the OG unit

Yeah, if I could find a new one for a good price, I'd be-a-cuttin right now.:evil

I'd like to make a pressure box around the filter, behind the bumper, so the only air it gets is drawn from in front...and forced into it!

Compare before and after iat's. You could actually just pull the bumper off and make a run and see if anything changes.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'm seeing like 10 degrees higher than abiant underhood temps. This is running down the interstate at 75 to, town driving its probably even hotter.

Where is the IAT probe? Pre/post turbo or pre/post intercooler? I have theories.

Where is the IAT probe? Pre/post turbo or pre/post intercooler? I have theories.

The probe is located on the inside of the drivers side grill housing. (The one used for the outside temperature...the second one is inside the intake manifold.)

I have enough thermocouple wire, and meters to measure the temperature, and air pressure of the area I'd like to cut.
I'll try to mount the pressure sensor line facing the bumper...strapped to the filter itself.

Last edited:
What about fabbing up some hvac or pvc tubing to push air up to the filter at the track? Then just yank it out when you leave.

What about fabbing up some hvac or pvc tubing to push air up to the filter at the track? Then just yank it out when you leave.

I was thinking of that too, but didn't want anything hangin down underneath the front air dam.
Thought that would look worse than the mesh covering the hole in the bumper.

I'll see if I can't take some picture of where the filter is located, and what I was gonna cut from the from side.

even tucked in there, with a negative draw or dead space, you are looking at not much vac. the turbo needing as much air as it does will pull from the slip stream wherever it is. You MIGHT gain a bit from cooler air, but i don't think you are starving it. there are other better ways to keep your air charge cool

Not much room for ducting underneath.

20150827_093740.jpg

20150827_093643.jpg

Where I would cut it out on the bumper, and insert a grill.

20150827_093711.jpg

The area shown above is actually directed at the longest length of the filter..from just above the front edge, all the way down to the flange clamp.
It still does not expose the entire filter.

Last edited:
I like the idea. I just implore you to find another bumper to try it with. Removing the bumper isn't going to properly simulate IMO.

I think it'll help, but the juice might not be worth the squeeze in rainy/snowy conditions for example...

But if it's a substantial difference, you might decide it's worth hacking the OG bumper (or investing the time/effort into doing up another.... maybe get an XL bumper and have it painted gold?)

thinking out loud

I like the idea. I just implore you to find another bumper to try it with. Removing the bumper isn't going to properly simulate IMO.

I think it'll help, but the juice might not be worth the squeeze in rainy/snowy conditions for example...

But if it's a substantial difference, you might decide it's worth hacking the OG bumper (or investing the time/effort into doing up another.... maybe get an XL bumper and have it painted gold?)

thinking out loud
Rain would be a MF'er!!!

Rain is a ***** now anyways...it catches everything off the front tire.

Truck never sees snow anymore....it will be parked again by the end of October...sooner if it turns cold, or snows.

Gonna wait and see if I still wanna do thus after I change out the battery's.

Gone are the Optima yellow tops....makin way for Odyssey PC1750's!:woohoo:

Just modifying the old battery tray now, as these are physically bigger.

20150827_142231.jpg

20150827_142307.jpg

Last edited:
thats a lot of cranking power. didn't think you needed that much to start er....:poke:

Back