another 6.0 question

mprmn08

Hey guys, im not really a ford guy but im helping someone out get a truck hopped up for her husband before he comes home from iraq. We are gonna do head studs. One question is, is the egr delete that critical if your doing head studs? I thought the head gasket issue was partially caused by the egr but also not enough clamping pressure from stock bolts. Also alot of egr kits i see are also selling the oil cooler too. Is that needed when doing it? And for a programmer, im thinking sct but not sure what is the best for p.s.'s. Its not gonna be a race truck just a tow/dd that he wants more mileage and of course some more power to show off but doesnt really wanna get into needing a built tranny or anything. Also what roughly are these trannys stock able to handle? oh yeah, its an 07 f250 cc/sb just so you know. Thanks

Egr delete is more important that head studs IMO. The oil coolers are notorious for clogging. I'd rebuild the oil cooler, delete the egr and stud it. As far as a programmer a custom tuned SCT is the only thing you want. The 5r can handle 500hp easily with good tuning.

/\ spot on. To bad mine is 100% stock in all those aspects. As soon as I get caught up with work the cab is coming off though.

Thanks guys, now for anyone thats done studs, about how long does it take. I plan on doing the one at a time method as its a low mileage truck and no coolant issues yet. Do you need to lift the cab if you do studs? does it save time. i have access to a lift so its not a problem just trying to figure out the easiest way. Also, you can just rebuild the oil cooler or do you have to replace it? thanks

You will be wasting your time doing studs one by one. You will already have the valley stripped out when doing the oil cooler. Take the time to pull the heads. Get the heads decked and checked for cracks. Use OEM head gaskets. The oil cooler can be rebuilt. Ford sells a rebuild kit.

It is alot easier if you can lift the cab. Seeing how you have acess to a lift I would deffinatly use it.

Back