Another Headache

moneymaker44

OK i was driving to work and all of a sudden my truck starts kicking in and out of gear the tach is dropping to zero but when the tach jumps back to the right rpm it drives fine then it started doing this over and over again the check engine light comes on the ALT light comes on ??? the sad part is my code reader say's it can't link up. any thoughts on this one ??

Yeah, mine did the same thing. Turned out to the speed sensor also. check the wires, one of mine completly cracked in two. I just soldered in a new piece of wire and it was back to new. them things arent cheap either, I want to say they are around $75.

78.98 plus tax :) i will try to patch mine as well if possible since i hate buying parts if i do not have to.

I probably have one laying around the shop.
Check your gap on it as well. Might have become loose.

thanks joe but i ordered it today should be here tomorrow ! it is not a rubbed wire or the connection i guess the thing just took a dump . gap is good as well. we had a pretty hard rain i drove in the other night and i guess it got some water in it some how looks sealed up but who knows. find out tomorrow when i put the new one on.

well changed the engine speed sensor no luck !!!!!!!!!1 no tach no charging
where is the ECM located ? i guess nothing i ever do is cheap

Don't have a pinout sheet infront of me, but check for continuity from the PCM (passengers side firewall) to the plug on the end of the sensor (below front of head) Chances are you have a break in the circut. the sensor is just a magnetic hall wave sensor, not likely to go bad.

my code reader won't even link up to read codes anymore ? i think the ECM dumped on me.

I had the same problem, replaced the speed sensor and nothing changed. It runed out to be my pcm it was completely fried. Ended up causing a lot more problems.

well i hope it does not cause more problems than it has already.
i just about got the thing up to where i want it for now.

Code reader? 12v? Never worked for me anyway, allways got failure to communicate.

SuperSonic said:
Code reader? 12v? Never worked for me anyway, allways got failure to communicate.

what kind of reader you have mine works fine on it well it did LOL. i pulled codes once just for kicks the only thing it had was one for the TC due to the mystery switch i installed. i am going to check every thing before i buy a PCM so i don't toss another chunk of money on the wrong thing. *bdh*

ok well here is where we are at. new PCM and ESS . now the old PCM is smoke i can't even get a check engine light when you turn the key on nothing. new PCM reads codes out and gives me coolant temp sensor out put high. i get a check engine light i get a wait to start light (that does not go out). but i still get no tach no charge. how ever i did find what smoked the PCM LOL . but i can't figure out why no TACH and no Charge. oh i have a wire diagram it shows a EGR Modual that all the things i got problems with go through but my truck has no egr and well i guess it would not have one of these things but i can't find Chit on this thing. and i have spent my entire 1 day off chasing wires and hunting my problem any body got a guess at this ??

yep the SOB won't start unless i boost it or leave the charger on it.
the gage reads low as if it is not charging and if i run it i have to jump it or leave the charger on to get it to fire later .

oh heck BIG blue just drive down here magnolia aint that far and help me fix this F$&*^)&*_ thing LOL ! i got beer ok well i alway have beer. but i am loosing my mind on this one . Weston is fixing to get a prepaid plane ticket LOL to help me .

Do you have a stuck manifold grid solenoid?
I'm not that savy, but if your volt guage stays low then something is sucking lots of power. Even with no alternator, after a long charge you chould be close to middle needle on the guage, for a while.

I won't even pretend to know about the rest of it. I HATE electrical problems..

PS let me know if you need schematics from the FSM.. I'll send you whatever you need.

Last edited:
moneymaker44 said:
yep the SOB won't start unless i boost it or leave the charger on it.
the gage reads low as if it is not charging and if i run it i have to jump it or leave the charger on to get it to fire later .

oh heck BIG blue just drive down here magnolia aint that far and help me fix this F$&*^)&*_ thing LOL ! i got beer ok well i alway have beer. but i am loosing my mind on this one . Weston is fixing to get a prepaid plane ticket LOL to help me .

Um, you don't want my electrical help. All the wires in my truck are red and when I get mad I just start cutting stuff. LOL I say burn it and claim the insurance. LOL

The grid heater relay or solenoid would be a good place to check. If that's stuck on then that would drain a ton of power. As for the tach, that's sounding like a wiring problem and you need to follow the wires.

Back