Antrim Diesel Dyno/Open House 2013

How did they dyno the trucks the wrong way?

Pulled them down from max rpm. Rotating mass of transmission and engine makes a lot of "horsepower". They should be pulled up in rpm like lighter vehicles are always dynoed.

You guys have to understand, no matter how they do it 'ole Lenny here won't be happy with the results.

Well I don't believe it would make a 200-300 HP difference. That would mean my fathers truck wasn't even making stock horsepower.

Plus isn't that the point of the constant horsepower rating? They drew my dads little cat down and it just kept holding the power. I would believe that the rotating mass of the trans and wheels would have an instant effect, but no after its held at that RPM for even just a few seconds or so.

What he is saying is that it is amplified by wheel speed. Your old truck wasn't anywhere close to the wheel speed of doodles overdrive run, so yours would not have been much difference.

Well I don't believe it would make a 200-300 HP difference. That would mean my fathers truck wasn't even making stock horsepower.

Plus isn't that the point of the constant horsepower rating? They drew my dads little cat down and it just kept holding the power. I would believe that the rotating mass of the trans and wheels would have an instant effect, but no after its held at that RPM for even just a few seconds or so.

if measured at constant rpm then the numbers are right but these big hp engines are always pulled down very quickly then aborted, no time to stabilize. Doodle gained over 250 hp when using overdrive vs. direct. Higher speed higher hp.

That is my dads truck. I did the fuel system and turbo. Much of it is the same as dodge Cummins stuff so parts are pretty straight forward. The turbo was actually on my pulling truck a few days before Antrim. The Mack ran better than I expected. (I was saying lots of prayers) I was happy with it.

Very cool build!!! I have a two valve in a R model with an air\air and a P pump of an E7 that made 550hp. So IMO 770 is pretty awesome.

Having been around big truck waterbrake dynos for 23 years, Ive never seen one run from the bottom up. So to say Antrim diesel, Cummins power systems, Alban Cat, Penn Detroit, Hunter Peterbilt, and countless PTO and engine dynos are "doing it wrong" is a bit unfair to some decent and experienced shops.

Water brake dynos are meant to be pulled down, not run up like an inertia dyno. As far as I know Antrim runs their dyno exactly like Cummins in Harrisburg PA does, the proper way.

The same goes for their Mustang pickup truck dyno. I heard numerous people at the event complaining that Antrims mustang dyno reads low and they felt it was inaccurate. I know for a fact that their mustang dyno is accurate. The truck we ran made 885 uncorrected at Antrim with a 1.04 correction factor and 918 on an inertia dyno at Spring Fling with near perfect air.

Having been around big truck waterbrake dynos for 23 years, Ive never seen one run from the bottom up. So to say Antrim diesel, Cummins power systems, Alban Cat, Penn Detroit, Hunter Peterbilt, and countless PTO and engine dynos are "doing it wrong" is a bit unfair to some decent and experienced shops.

They can be run whichever way you want. When those shops test real hp they do it at fixed rpm every 200 rpm or something and the test takes many minutes, not seconds like these dyno days. Because these dynoqueens cant be loaded for more than a couple of seconds before they blow the test should be done in different way to get real hp instead of fantasy hp.

I like this Doodle guy, he used very fast gearing and overdrive on purpose to show how stupid these tests are. Another guy started whining about it because last year he made less power because his gearing was only good for 90 mph.

Back