Any advantage to adding an Airdog to GM 6.5?

02Dmax

I'm building a 6.5 for my weekend/Sunday go-to-meeting truck. Part of my goal is to see what kind of fuel mileage I can squeeze out of it. Has anyone here ever added an Airdog system to a 6.5 to see if there were any gains? I'm also adding an innercooler and upgrading the cooling system. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

Really didn't want to do do this but I guess it must be done

ATTENTION:
All "put a cummins in it", "put a dmax in it", "put a PS in it", "put a 466 in it", "put your mom in it", "6.5s suck", "6.5s are worthless", "6.5s are boat anchors", "one upgrade is worth more than the whole truck", "this is a competition site", "I have a late model diesel with a tuner so that gives me the right to comment on all things diesel like I'm a diesel wizard", "I've maxed out all my credit cards and spent several years salary on my sledpuller but I'm still going to tell you you're over-investing in a 6.5", "newer stock trucks will still outrun you".............

comments will all be ignored, so save yourself the effort and cheetos you went through to type it. I'm here for info.

Yea it'll help but i would go for a cheaper setup like a holley Hp !It will give you a slight increase in power an maybe a touch in mileage ! I don't think it's worth spendin money on an airdog! But thats just my opinion!

ATTENTION:
All "put a cummins in it", "put a dmax in it", "put a PS in it", "put a 466 in it", "put your mom in it", "6.5s suck", "6.5s are worthless", "6.5s are boat anchors", "one upgrade is worth more than the whole truck", "this is a competition site", "I have a late model diesel with a tuner so that gives me the right to comment on all things diesel like I'm a diesel wizard", "I've maxed out all my credit cards and spent several years salary on my sledpuller but I'm still going to tell you you're over-investing in a 6.5", "newer stock trucks will still outrun you".............

comments will all be ignored, so save yourself the effort and cheetos you went through to type it. I'm here for info.

Wow, someone can't take a joke. LOL

I know several folks who had 6.5's they were good engines put about 200K on them and then the crank broke on one.

ok, fair enough. lol. Just seems like every time I or anyone else posts a question about 6.5s the first several responses are in no way related, or helpful to said question.

ATTENTION:

Quit looking for a fight. And quit digging up threads that you know zero back story on.

It won't hurt it, but there are other mods that will net you bigger gains. I would look into the feed the beast mods and the newer higher pressure pump. Do some reading over at http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?93-GM-6.5-Diesel-Engines for advice on the 6.5's from some real 6.5 enthusiasts. For a 94 I would go with stock compression pistons, new stock injectors, timing set at -1.94, free flowing exhaust, K47 high flow airbox, feed the beast mods, high pressure pump, and an ATT with his matching chip for good power and better milage. And if your doing engine work, I would go with ARP head studs and new FEL-PRO head gaskets.

thanks man, I've got the engine completely apart so I'll definitely put the head studs in and fel-pro gaskets. Ive already got new stock pistons and injectors. Got the exhaust covered. I'll go do some reading on that site.

Thanks again for the advice.

Quit looking for a fight. And quit digging up threads that you know zero back story on.

Hey look, somebody that needs to get the backstory on this thread. I didn't try to start a fight, (see first post) and I'm on this site often enough to read about 1 thread a week, if that. I have no idea what threads I was digging up but I assure you that I have no f'ing idea what you're talking about. 6.5 info or gtfo.

It won't hurt it, but there are other mods that will net you bigger gains. I would look into the feed the beast mods and the newer higher pressure pump. Do some reading over at http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?93-GM-6.5-Diesel-Engines for advice on the 6.5's from some real 6.5 enthusiasts. For a 94 I would go with stock compression pistons, new stock injectors, timing set at -1.94, free flowing exhaust, K47 high flow airbox, feed the beast mods, high pressure pump, and an ATT with his matching chip for good power and better milage. And if your doing engine work, I would go with ARP head studs and new FEL-PRO head gaskets.

PS, I just bought a 94 2500 suburban because I got a deal on it, for now its the fishing vehicle but once I get this truck done its next in line for some kind of cool project.

Hey look, somebody that needs to get the backstory on this thread. I didn't try to start a fight, (see first post) and I'm on this site often enough to read about 1 thread a week, if that. I have no idea what threads I was digging up but I assure you that I have no f'ing idea what you're talking about. 6.5 info or gtfo.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105992&page=2

Post 25.

You type as though you have a defensive chip on your shoulder. If you dropped that attitude it would help a lot. And get off the "you have a chip, daddy bought you, you have more money" high horse.

Umm, I type as though I'm not a bullsh!ter is a more accurate statement. So far your argument is pretty thin dude.

Since you care about this enough to go through my past posts why don't you find a post that I ACTUALLY accuse someone of having something their daddy bought and I have more money than them. Its there, trust me, you're gonna be in front of the computer all night anyhow so you've got plenty of time to find it. Post 25 in that thread you c&p'd supports your argument almost none. And by the way, I have no money now, I spent it all on barbie jeeps and 6.5s. Happy hunting!

An airdog, intercooler and cooling changes will have zero impact on fuel economy. If you have air in your fuel, you need to fix the leak or stop running your fuel tank near empty.
An intercooler's efficiency will be offset by the added restriction to flow. Intercoolers allow more power, they don't create more power.
Cooling won't have any effect. A bigger fan will kill engine efficiency. A smaller fan will make it run hotter longer. A cooler thermostat will make it take longer to warm to operating temp.

The only thing that will increase your economy is put a brick under the throttle pedal.

Last edited:
The air that these fuel prep systems remove is the air that gets in the fuel when the fuel is transfered from tank to tank. The problem with the intercooler is the cost of it, the gain you would get from it is about the same as a methonol injection system but the intercooler is about 8 times the price. If you are going for mileage gains there are a few companies that offer injectors and chips just for that purpose. I have an airdog on my 95 chevy and have no complaints. I didn't see a mileage boost from it but i also installed marine injectors an exhaust and chip at the same time.

:pop:
This thread makes me want to build a DS pump with ninja bish slapping capabilities...for purely entertainment and embarrassment factors.

Back